Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Coolant Flow

Nats
12-24-2004, 04:20 PM
This past month my heat only works while I am giving the rodeo gas and moving. Standing still and giving it throttle doesn't work. Today when I arrived home I smelled antifreeze and my engine temp was high. Under the hood the radiator and reservior tank were both empty. I filled reservior tank and drove truck around the block. The temp gauge went past mid point again and I stopped and checked under the hood. I don't think the coolant was flowing. Is this a problem with my thermostat or water pump or something else?

-Stan

Ramblin Fever
12-24-2004, 05:13 PM
Can you state what year, engine, miles you have? May help a lot.

Nats
12-24-2004, 11:36 PM
My engine is a 3.2L, V6, 4wheel drive. It is a 95 Rodeo. It has 135,000 miles. I love this truck. I just had front suspension replaced and installed a new alternator this past year. I bought it after the first owner, who only put 2,000 miles on it, bent the frame and the car was considered totaled.

rodeo02
12-25-2004, 10:07 AM
Sure sounds like a stuck thermostat. But a sudden loss of coolant w/out seeing it leak/spray out is a major concern. That could be a bad head gasket causing coolant to leak into the combustion chamber and crank case. If the truck runs good & there is no coolant coming out the exhaust, or in the engine oil, just try a new thermostat.

G/luck
Joel

Add your comment to this topic!