Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Remote Starter/Alarm Question

speilman
12-24-2004, 01:45 PM
Got a 97 Sierra, no power windows or locks (it's my work truck no need for the bells and whistles), and seeing as I'm up in the great white north I decided to grab myself a remote starter. Found one with a built in alarm, no kill switch on it, which is fine, the alarms just a bonus as far as I'm concerned. However I've seen that some models need an extra bypass switch before the starter will work. As I'm picking the starter up from somewhere that doesn't do installation, I wanted to know if anyone can tell me if a bypass is needed. And yes before anyone recommends it I am having it installed by a reputable installer.

Jeremy-WI
12-24-2004, 01:49 PM
If there is a security light that lights up when you turn the key on, then you probably need the bypass. I think GM started putting VATS on pickups in 1998.

ponchonutty
12-25-2004, 07:23 PM
If there is a security light that lights up when you turn the key on, then you probably need the bypass. I think GM started putting VATS on pickups in 1998.
Actually it was called Passkey2 or PK2. The '97 should not need anything. Make sure that you know what you are doing. If you do not hook up the multiple ignition wires correctly, you'll be adding a new tranny to the bill!

Add your comment to this topic!