Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 Wrangler 4x4 problem

myjeepsux420
12-23-2004, 02:47 PM
I have a 1995 Jeep wrangler 4.0l with a 5 speed. I live in Colorado and we got snow last night. I could tell I was in 4x4, but in the past i can tell I'm getting power to the rear wheels only. I have already installed a posi lock manual engage for the front diff. I'm almost sure I'm locked in there. Today I know for a fact I'm only getting power to the rear wheels. The jeep has a 2 1/2 in suspension lift with t-case lowering kit. I also have 1 inch shackles. I'm on a 33 12.50 tire using 15x8 wheels. I'm thinking the problem has to be the t-case? Does anyone have experience with this problem? Please help..

baileya400
12-25-2004, 10:51 PM
I am having the same problem with my 92. I had to have a new transfer case put in mine last summer and have tested it since then to know that it should work. It had to be re3placed because of the shifting fork inside of it. The guy that had it before me had a 2" body lift on it and didn't make the adjustment on the 4WD shifter. You might crawl under it and check. I think that my problem is the "vacuum motor" has gone bad in the front end. I look at it and see that there are 4 mounting bolts but there is also a bolt in the upper center of the housing. Is this some kind of manual engage? I thought that maybe you messed with yours a little before replacing it. Good luck to ya. We got 24 inches of the white stuff here and I got a yard ornament that looks a lot like a jeep.

myjeepsux420
12-27-2004, 02:24 PM
I am having the same problem with my 92. I had to have a new transfer case put in mine last summer and have tested it since then to know that it should work. It had to be re3placed because of the shifting fork inside of it. The guy that had it before me had a 2" body lift on it and didn't make the adjustment on the 4WD shifter. You might crawl under it and check. I think that my problem is the "vacuum motor" has gone bad in the front end. I look at it and see that there are 4 mounting bolts but there is also a bolt in the upper center of the housing. Is this some kind of manual engage? I thought that maybe you messed with yours a little before replacing it. Good luck to ya. We got 24 inches of the white stuff here and I got a yard ornament that looks a lot like a jeep.

I know for sure that my front is getting locked in. I have heard that some companies make a shifter adjustment plate for jeeps with a lower t-case. I'm starting to think it's the shifter fork inside the t-case that's now working. Has anyone replaced that fork, or does anyone know a solid way to diagnose this problem? If the front end is locked in, but the t-case is in 2wd, will the front end skip around in a tight turn?

fergmonster
12-28-2004, 08:52 PM
if your case is only in 2wd, your fronts won't turn. regardless of them being locked in. i'd put the car on jacks and carefully go through the 2-4hi-4low modes. troubleshoot the problem. have a friend help and you could look at your shifting linkages. do your 4 wheel lights ever come on?

baileya400
12-29-2004, 06:47 AM
The guy that replaced my transfer case was a shadetree jeep buff that builds crawlers and mud monsters. He knew what my problem was within a couple hours. Mine was making a loud clanking noise when I was letting off the clutch. He said there is some adjustment on the shift linkage and the guy that had the jeep before me had put a 2" lift and didn't adjust the linkage. So on mine there was a constant pressure on the stock aluminum shifting fork in the transfer case. He had another case and just replaced the whole case with one that had a steel shifting fork in it. I'm not sure on the front end skip but I think that if your transfer case is in 4wd it willskip and if its in 2wd it will not. Not sure on that though. Hope this helps.

fergmonster
12-29-2004, 09:05 AM
i believe if your front end is locked. it could cause " binding " on your wheel joints, and front diff. during tight turning. this could be the skip your referring too.

myjeepsux420
01-09-2005, 10:46 AM
OK yesterday I jacked up all four corners and put the jeep in 4wd. All four tires are spinning. With the Tcase in 4wd and the posi lock engaged I spin one wheel and the other one spins. Put the jeep in 4-lo and all four wheels spin. Yet, I know some days when I drive in the snow, the power only goes to the rear tires. Could it be the shifter alignment or is the t-case working intermit? After the bar last night (hehehehe) I just decided to see if the jeep would go into 4wd, when I turned tight it jumped and binded like it is in 4wd. Perhaps I'm crazy

fergmonster
01-09-2005, 01:15 PM
if it jumps and binds.......its in 4 wheel.

goinbig
01-09-2005, 02:50 PM
The t-case is connected to the back of the tranny. If it is in 4wd, the front drive line has to spin if the rear shaft is spinning.

The problem sound to be in the manual engage you made for the front. The thing you made/installed is not a locker or anything either. It simply eliminates the vaccuum actuator (witch you no longer need). It makes it so that you can have low-range 2wd.

Sounds like you should get down there and look at it. If you put it in 4wd, and only the rear has power, it is because of that actuator...not the shifter linkage (which you might have a problem with, but that's another issue).

goinbig
01-09-2005, 02:52 PM
if it jumps and binds.......its in 4 wheel.

Which is why you should not be in 4wd on dry surfaces!!!!

myjeepsux420
01-13-2005, 12:19 PM
Ok, I checked the Posi Lock and the shifter fork is in correctly. When the front is jacked up and the posi lock is engaged with 4wd I can spine one wheel with my hand and the other wheel spins the opposite direction. That means the front is engaged. I think the problem is the t-case will intermit not go into 4wd. Ever since I lifted all four wheels off the ground and ran the jeep in 4wd the t-case has worked everytime. I do feel a vibration when moving in 4wd with the clutch in. No vibration on accleration or decelleration. I still think I need a new t-case

jwtrapper
01-25-2005, 09:09 PM
I have the same problems at times. I think its just the posi lock not being pulled out and locking in the axle. I put on a posi lock also. Some times you just have to play with it to get it to go in right.

Add your comment to this topic!