Need Info On 1988 Ram 50

truckinagain
12-23-2004, 12:27 PM
I have a 88 Ram50 2.0. It was a pretty good little truck until I gave it to my daughter. Between her and her friends they trashed it so I took it back from her and now I get to fix it. I have read a lot on this forum and some of you guys know your stuff. I learned quite a bit by reading your Q and A ,but there still a few things (I should say a lot of things) I need to find out.

Ok I need to find a throttle cable. I know junk yard.

It blows white grey smoke like crazy some at idle and a lot when you apply the gas and smells like gas not oil. So I figure 1. It needs a carburator. 2.Possibly rings ( I hope not). But I was wondering if there is a different carb I can put on it instead of a Mikuni/Solex.

I have a lot of work to do on my poor little truck thanks to my daughter and her wonderful friends. So any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

BleedDodge
12-23-2004, 01:00 PM
It's probably burning antifreeze if it's smoking like that. Blown head gasket probably?

Discipline your kids. That's about all the help I can give you.

truckinagain
12-23-2004, 01:31 PM
She's to old for me to do that anymore. It was my truck and I gave her the truck title and everything when we moved out of state so she'd have a vehicle.

She kept calling saying this was wrong and that was wrong I told her not to let her dumb friends use it but she didn't listen. She had some of her dumb friends try to fix it. But they were to ignorant to do anything right. They couldn't even get it running.They kept telling her it needed a starter. It only needed a good battery. She was complaining that it wasn't running and I got tired of hearing it.

So my husband took our big truck and car trailer down to see her and she was thinking about comimg back with him. But she didn't want to and she's an adult so she didn't have to, so I told my husband to get the title and the truck and bring it home and I'll fix it for me.

He did and we got a GOOD battery and it started up. But like I said It's blowing smoke now.

So I'll check out the head gasket and go from there.

Thanks for your help.

BamaDodgenMX
12-23-2004, 10:52 PM
Kids these days.. I mean they.. we.. Haha. Sorry about everything. Look on the bright side, I love my Dodge, and have taken good care of it since I've had it, but I still can't manage to get it to run correctly. But at least it is a Dodge, and so will survive the thrashing.

BamaDodgenMX
12-23-2004, 10:54 PM
Also, for good junkyard/used parts, check out car-part.com. It's amazing what you can find, and so far I've had nothing but good luck on there.

Add your comment to this topic!