Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

engine help...

poorskater
12-22-2004, 08:22 PM
i have a 91 accord. I think there might be a broken lifter or rocker.. is there any way to tell the difference?

poorskater
12-22-2004, 09:10 PM
and its wisteling. i dont know if it might be the same thing, or if it has anything to do with eachother. But i really need some help.

mpumas
12-22-2004, 11:49 PM
Hondas have rockers but not lifters. The Accord is an overhead engine and the rocker arm rides on the overhead cam. Although rockers could break, I doubt it. The best way to check is to take off the valve cover and inspect the rocker arms. I need more information on what you are experiencing to help you. wisteling???????

poorskater
12-23-2004, 12:55 AM
i ment there is like a wistleing coming from around the timing belt... i know this is bad news, but i dont know if if it is the timing belt. If the timeing belt went out, would the car still be able to run? because its running. Thats just whats happening now... if you have an instant messanger service that we can talk on that would make this much easier. do you?

poorskater
12-25-2004, 02:49 AM
ok guys, i figured some shit out. Just tell me when im wrong. Ok, there's a whistleing sound... so a belt right? battery isnt getting charged? anyone gettin where im going here? would this be logical that the belt could be gone? how much are these belts? is it hard to replace? woudl somthing be able to explain the clinking' when it broke?

mpumas
12-25-2004, 10:34 AM
Sounds like you might have a frozen bearing on the alternator and the belt is slipping around the alternator pully. Belts are cheap but you have to remove the left side motor mount to replace it. When you remove the mount, you need to support the engine. Clinking????

poorskater
12-25-2004, 11:29 AM
yea, when it first started there was some clinking sounds that were pretty consistant .. i dont know what it was any ideas? maybe like a rocker maybe?

Add your comment to this topic!