Blinking engine light

Jessaruley
12-22-2004, 02:08 PM
My engine light has been on for a while and the Blazer is running really hard, stalling, bad gas mileage & smell, no power up hills, surges and black soot looking stuff on the ground after we let it warm up.
I to took it in and go the codes on it.

P113 Insufficient switching
P300 Random Cyl. Misfire detected
PO401 Insufficient EGR flow detected
PO172 fuel system too rich bank

These codes might not be correct, there were 2 others but I could not read his writing. He thought that by cleaning the EGR that would fix it because they were all linked together.

I took it in in Jan 04 and had all of this replaced on it:
Cap rotor
Spark plugs & wires
Fuel filter
PVC valve
U-Joint
Wiper contron circuit board
O2 sensor

After I had it worked on it ran like a gem till about a month ago when the light came on and started blinking, then shortly after it started running rough. We put high octane gas & fuel injector cleaner in it several times and it helps but still rough. Should it be running like this if I just had it worked on? And is he correct that cleaning the EGR will fix it?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Jessica

ad6kb
12-22-2004, 03:45 PM
The onboard computer monitors a lot of thing going on, from engine operating temp to fuel pressure. When it is blinking, it is serious. Get thee to a Chevy dealer

Fireplug
12-23-2004, 04:33 PM
Make model year engine???
That work was done almost a YEAR ago.
Blinking light is BAD REAL BAD you are doing emission parts damage

Jessaruley
12-23-2004, 08:37 PM
Make model year engine???
That work was done almost a YEAR ago.
Blinking light is BAD REAL BAD you are doing emission parts damage

It is a 95 Chevy Blazer I am not sure about the engine. The light was only blinking when it idles but today it started blinking when I started down the road. I have an appointment to put it in the shop Tues. the 28th. Can I drive it blinking? It is our only vehicle and we have to drive a 60 mile round trip to work.

Fireplug
12-23-2004, 09:05 PM
If it was mine I would not drive it to much. A blinking check engine lite means unburnt fuel is going into the cat convertor and that will burn it out fast.

BlazerLT
12-23-2004, 09:09 PM
A.) Sounds like the injector or internal nut kit is leaking. Bank PO172 fuel system too rich bank leads me to believe the nut kit has sprung a leak.

b.) IAT Sensor is defective P0113 is for a bad IAT sensor.

c.) EGR Vlave is defective and is not opening up.

Turbocpe
12-23-2004, 11:11 PM
Fireplug is right, a flash service engine soon light on an OBD-II vehicle is generally a misfire condition, which will lead to unburt fuel entering the cat and can melt the insides of the cat to the point it could restrict exhaust flow.

BlazerLT
12-24-2004, 12:07 AM
True, but a cat is not causing all of this.

Something is creating this problem and I think it is the CPI and nut kit.

metallica21156
12-25-2004, 08:28 AM
EGR could be pluged again or stuck open.

ricksza
12-25-2004, 08:55 AM
The light is blinking because the catalytic converter is in danger. Driving the vehicle could melt, destroy the convertor (very expensive).

Mushroom777
12-25-2004, 12:47 PM
a chick driving a blazer .....anything more sexy?

BlazerLT
12-26-2004, 04:25 AM
EGR could be pluged again or stuck open.

Could be, but depends on if the EGR code is set.

BlazerLT
12-26-2004, 04:26 AM
The light is blinking because the catalytic converter is in danger. Driving the vehicle could melt, destroy the convertor (very expensive).

Please don't say stuff like that, since when does a blicking check engine light mean a cat failure.

ricksza
12-26-2004, 08:03 AM
quote from Owner's Manual: "Light Flashing -- A misfire condition has been detected. A misfire increases vehicle emissions and may damage the emission control system on your vehicle. Diagnosis and service may be required"

metallica21156
12-26-2004, 08:31 AM
yes a code could be set. try to see what codes are bveing set if you can. you might have to get it towed if you can't read them at your house. i would never drive the truck if the light was blinking. also feel the part of the manifold thats right next to the block. when its cold let it idle for about a minute and then turn the truck off and feel all 6. if they all feel about the same temp then your EGR could be bad. if a port or 2 is cold then start tricing to see if you have spark and you might have gotten a weak plug. and yes that can happen.

Mikado14
12-26-2004, 11:17 AM
yes a code could be set. try to see what codes are bveing set if you can. you might have to get it towed if you can't read them at your house. i would never drive the truck if the light was blinking. also feel the part of the manifold thats right next to the block. when its cold let it idle for about a minute and then turn the truck off and feel all 6. if they all feel about the same temp then your EGR could be bad. if a port or 2 is cold then start tricing to see if you have spark and you might have gotten a weak plug. and yes that can happen.

If they all feel about the same in temp, wouldn't that mean that all 6 cylinders are firing? Shouldn't they all be the same temp no matter how long you run it? and, how does that indicate a possible EGR fault?

Fireplug
12-26-2004, 10:40 PM
You all so called Techs had better LEARN the difference between a Steady Check engine lite and Flashing Check Engine Lite. Steady lite, the ECM,PCM,VCM, PCM2,PCM3 Has detected a sensor out of range . That could mean a sensor has failed or is telling you that something is wrong and caused the sensor it give a out of range reading.
Driving is ok but fuel milage is down and power out put is down. NO EMISSION Damage is being done.
Flashing Check engine Lite means the ECM, VCM,PCM,PCM2,PCM3 HAS dected a major emission Failer. That could be a Major misfire, fuel injector leak or what ever. But the bottom line is that the Emission system is being damaged or about to be damaged and driving it is a no-no.
Please all you so called know it alls tell me I am wrong. And when you do and some on here listens to you and melts down there truck/car or God forbid nobody get hurts.
CALL ANY GM Dealership and ask or better yet READ the most unread book in the world the OWNERS MANUAL.

metallica21156
12-26-2004, 11:35 PM
well if i smelled raw gas from the exhaust i wouldn't drive it. feeling the manifold doesn't tell you about the EGR. it tells you if one or 2 cyinders are not firing right due to maybe a spark problem. i don't think its the EGR because when mine got stuck open the light was one but wouldn't blink. recently changed the CPI and got 2 plug wires hooked up right to the diagram but the some how were out of time. the 2 that weren't working were cold around the ports where as the others were hot. this told me that it wasn't a over all problem. just those 2 cyinders. swaped the wires and now its fine but according to the timeing diagram its now out of time but runs great. i only ran it short so you would burn your self. it can get hot. also the longer you let it run the more the heat from the other portsa can transfer over and give you a false reading. please try this to see if the entire motor is having issues or just a few cyinders.

EDKY423
01-13-2005, 05:12 PM
I have a 89 s-10, some time ago my check ingine light started flashing and I too was loosing power, I took it to the shop and was told it had bad injectors. I kept driving it like this for about a month, then one day on the way home from work it started stalling on the highway. I made it home and its been parked ever since. Cat problems you think?

BlazerLT
01-13-2005, 11:03 PM
Flashing check engine light is usually caused by a misfire condition.

Could be anything from a fuel pump going out to a tuneup being needed.

Fireplug
01-14-2005, 09:16 AM
Blazerlt
I have to disagree with you on your last statment. A steady check engine lite(cel/mil) could be anything including a fuel lean misfire. A Flashing mil is ONLY caused by to much fuel be dumped in the system and going past all the o-2 sensors with out being burnt. The Flashing part means Emission DAMAGE is about to or is already going on. The cause is unburnt fuel, leaking injector, no spark to 1 or more cylinders, some other type of big fuel leak, a bad o-2 will not be caused by a engine sensor failer.
This is not a flame or cut kown its just everyone needs to have the correct info about mil/cels

BlazerLT
01-14-2005, 12:06 PM
From my experience, a flashing is caused by a random bad misfire or a communication error from the computer.

Anyhoo,

-check fuel pressure
- check for spark.

scholzee
01-14-2005, 12:44 PM
From the Federal EPA website in charge of OBDll

http://www.epa.gov/obd/questions.htm#5

What does it mean if the light is blinking?
If the light is blinking, a severe engine problem such as a catalyst-damaging misfire is occurring and should be addressed as soon as possible. You can still drive safely, but should minimize your time on the road. Try not to drive the vehicle at high speed or with excess weight (such as towing or carrying heavy equipment).

Fireplug
01-14-2005, 01:22 PM
What does it mean if the light is blinking?
If the light is blinking, a severe engine problem such as a catalyst-damaging misfire is occurring and should be addressed as soon as possible. You can still drive safely, but should minimize your time on the road. Try not to drive the vehicle at high speed or with excess weight (such as towing or carrying heavy equipment).

I think that is what I said

lineguy
01-23-2005, 07:22 PM
Just had this problem with my 96. It was about -5 out and it started and ran rough and light was flashing. Drove it to the store and came out started it and the light was on constant but it was running smooth. Is there anyway to check the light without a code reader.

BlazerLT
01-23-2005, 07:36 PM
Nope, go to autozone and get the codes read for free then comback with the ACTUAL codes.

We can't do anything with the counter monkey diagnosis of the codes, we need the actual numbers.

spblend
02-22-2005, 07:17 PM
Hey im have a 1995 blazer lt 4 door 4x4, and im havin a problem with the check engine light also, BUT its solid, NOT blinking. Wondering what this is, because the engine really sounds no different now that the lights been on, and its beginning to worry me since im stumped as to what it may be. Any ideas or experience with this, tips, would be greatly appreciated.

- Jesse

Turbocpe
02-22-2005, 07:48 PM
Hey im have a 1995 blazer lt 4 door 4x4, and im havin a problem with the check engine light also, BUT its solid, NOT blinking. Wondering what this is, because the engine really sounds no different now that the lights been on, and its beginning to worry me since im stumped as to what it may be. Any ideas or experience with this, tips, would be greatly appreciated.

- Jesse

No one can honestly tell you what your problem is that is resulting in your check engine light. It would simply be a guess. There are many trouble codes.

The fact that it is on solid means that it has detected a problem and stored a trouble code, and instructs you to have the vehicle serviced at the earliest possible. That is what a solid check engine light means.

If you have an AutoZone, visit them and have them pull any trouble codes, and report back here with the actual trouble codes.

BlazerLT
02-22-2005, 07:55 PM

- Jesse

Please post your question ONCE ONLY.

You already have a thread with this question.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=369777

Add your comment to this topic!