Line-X vs. Rhino Liner

MarineJAG
12-22-2004, 12:15 PM
I'm thinking of having a liner sprayed onto my truck bed... Which spray on type liner is best, Line-X or Rhino Liner? Does anyone have good/bad experiences with either?

buttnekked
12-22-2004, 12:38 PM
do a search for line-x in this forum. There was a thread about this a few weeks ago with people talking about how their liner was put in and how it looked.

bowtieguy
12-22-2004, 02:52 PM
I'm thinking of having a liner sprayed onto my truck bed... Which spray on type liner is best, Line-X or Rhino Liner? Does anyone have good/bad experiences with either?

I have a rhino lining in my 02 Z71 and it is great no bad words here i had the dealer take it down and have it sprayed in as part of the deal so it has been close to 3 years now and still looks and works great. dont know the price of the line X but unless it is just a great price i would go with the rhino liner.....just my opinion.

Nigel215
12-22-2004, 03:38 PM
Their both great, But i got the line-X because it seemed to have more grit to it. Dident seem like things would slide around as much...and they dont.

White Lightening
12-22-2004, 06:58 PM
In talking to several dealers while test driving vehicles before my purchase this year, I found that several of the dealers (even as far as 45 miles away) choose to have it done at Line X.

I also was at the Line X place - and the Federal government has vehicles and other "items" LineXed because of its durability. In cutaway samples I've seen - the LineX coating is "baked" on about 1/8th of an inch think (that is thick, not lightweight). Also - it adheres uniformly to the surface rather than just "filling in the holes".

Personal opinion seeing both of them - I liked the LineX better than the Rhino because it was baked on and thick. It wasn't "going anywhere" - no tearing, cutting, or shifting. Vertical or horizontal surfaces are no sweat.

White Lightening

acbaer
12-23-2004, 01:56 AM
Line-X is the way to go.

MarineJAG
12-23-2004, 08:33 AM
Wow! Thanks for all the advice! I think that I will be going with the Line-X. The "baked on" aspect seems to have a lot of apeal. Whan I looked around on line for other info a lot of sites mentioned that the baked on application vs. the cold application (Rhino) makes for a thicker coverage on the walls of the truck bed. Again, thanks for all the advice!

Have a Merry Christmas!

:grinyes:

WILLIAM

Nigel215
12-23-2004, 09:01 AM
Yea, I read about that too. Line-X is used on army trucks on the floors and stuff. And I think the Navy uses it on the decks of some of thoes little crazy platoon boats. So that tells you it still works under wet conditions.

emmitt69
12-24-2004, 04:35 AM
I'm in the navy and yes they use line-x on the patrol boats we drive so we don't have to worry about slipping when we take on high wakes or high speed turns.

slacker_53
12-24-2004, 04:22 PM
Around my area Line-x is top dog. I never knew that Line-X was baked on, I hadn't heard that before.

But, the quality of the liner also depends on your installer. If the truck isn't 'prepped' properly, the liner will not adhere and that will cause problems down the road.

I have seen some very sloppy applications of Rhino liners, again that is an installer problem, not a problem with the product.

Before having a bedliner installed, ask for the names of previous customers so you can ask them about their experience with the installer and also see the quality of the install. However, be aware that if the truck isn't 'prepped' properly, it could take years for a problem to show up.

Good luck with your liner and have a great holiday,

slacker

Jsilverado02
01-10-2005, 08:59 PM
Just for giggles, I had two trucks done. One with the Rhino lining and one with the Line-X. As for durability. I have had better luck with the Rhino lining. If slipping was my only concern, then the Line-X. I haul everything from block to engines. My Rhino liner in my main truck is 1/4" thick. It seems to take impact loads far better than the Line-X. Good luck in whatever you choose.

ctimmons
01-10-2005, 09:30 PM
I have the Line-X. 03 ext cab. First thing I put on the truck. Hauled everything and anything with no problems. It does seem to have a rougher surface than the Rhino liner. This can be good and bad. Good - less slippage. Bad - It is a pain if you get someghing like concrete dust in the surface. It will come out and will not stain, but it takes some work. According to my installer Line-X will be repaired by any authorized dealer no matter where you are and the only thing he knows that will stain the liner is deer blood. I think either will serve the purpose, you just need to decide rough - Line-X, smoother -Rhino.

Silverado Brethern
01-11-2005, 11:07 PM
I have a drop in mat and it works plenty fine for me. dont forget the main purpose of spray on liners is to seal and protect the bed. my rubber mat cost $80 and nothing ever slides around in my bed. i personally would go with the rhino lining cuz like some one said its a pain in that ass to get stain or dust out of the gritty Line-X. Really i see no nothing better in grip between the two, yes Line-X has more grit for wet situation but either way nothing will slide on either, and its just a truck bed and not a navy patrol boat so it really doesnt matter.

buttnekked
01-12-2005, 03:42 AM
main problem with drop ins and mats: is that water gets trapped underneath and if you don't address it you will rust holes through the bed floor and in the case of drop ins possibly the sides and especially at the corners of the wheel wells.

Silverado Brethern
01-12-2005, 08:23 AM
yeh i know but for my truck it was too late for all that cuz it was used to haul a bed camper before i owened it so it's pretty scratched up. but the point i was tryin to make is no matter what you buy, so long as its not a plastic liner, will protect the bed and nothing will slide around if its a mat, rhino, or line-x.

White Lightening
01-12-2005, 11:56 AM
main problem with drop ins and mats: is that water gets trapped underneath and if you don't address it you will rust holes through the bed floor and in the case of drop ins possibly the sides and especially at the corners of the wheel wells.

Greetings Buttnekked,

With my new truck that I planned to have a hard tonneau on - I spent a good deal of time considering spray in liners versus no protection versus using a high quality rubber mat. I knew I would not use the plastic box liners - as plastic is very abrasive to paint and metal - especially when cold.

Because my box was new - I hesitated covering it entirely with the permanent spray in liners. So I opted for a high quality rubber "fitted" mat. The mat I chose for the box has raised rubber dimples that allow an air layer between box floor and most of the mat - keeping moisture away and keeping dirt from grinding in. Great traction - yet most of my white box still shows. For the tailgate - instead of drilling holes and using supplied metal fasteners and washers - I caulked it on leaving areas that moisture can run out of when the tailgate is up.

Its early in the process - but so far - the "fitted" rubber mat doesn't shift - so the paint underneath looks like new and unscuffed. My theory - is that if the surface starts to deteriorate in the future - then I'll Line-x it and cover any imperfections. But in the mean time - its $75 for both the floor and tailgate mats - and my glossy paint shows - and the rubber easier to clean, and 1/4 inch thick of protection.

White Lightening

buttnekked
01-12-2005, 01:27 PM
If you use a bed cover that makes a big difference in moisture issues ( eliminates most). The raised dimples should also help. Another tip is to take the mat out periodically and clean the drain holes in the bed and allow any moisture there to dissipate.
Mats are definitely the most cost effective and as long as they are not treated like a install and forget solution should work well. Unfortunately many people put it in and then never touch it again. They have a film that they install under some plastic lines that helps with the abrasiveness but the rails and sidewalls are still unprotected so all in all that would be what I consider a last resort.

White Lightening
01-12-2005, 04:53 PM
Greetings Buttnekked,

Yep - had I not had a watertight tonneau - I would have chosen a spray-in instead. I think it is especially a concern for cold weather if water or snow is allowed melt and freeze. Those problems I don't have in my situation.

Line-X Expert
04-12-2007, 08:20 PM
Ton's of custom spray on work to be seen at www.linexpics.com (http://www.linexpics.com)

Add your comment to this topic!