Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1992 toyota camry overheating

Neonic
12-22-2004, 01:20 AM
I started my camry yesterday when the outside temp was around -10 F and I wasn't getting any heat inside after about 10 min of idleing. So I decided to drive and see what happend. As I was driving my temp gauge kept rising and eventually got almost to the red when I pulled to check what was happening. Opened the hood and the radiator was hardly warm at all. I waited for it to cool back down and I started driving again. By now the car was starting to get warm. I found that I was able to keep it from getting too hot by keeping it under 2000 rmps. I've been told it cold be the thermostat but I'm not sure, and is this a hard repair on 1992 camry 5 speed?

Neonic
12-22-2004, 01:22 AM
p.s. the car cooled down when Idleing

jennner
12-22-2004, 08:58 AM
all i know is that if your car is overheating go get it checked....and make sure they are a reliable mechanic....your thermostat may be sticking - that's what happened to my 91 camry...i've had my thermostat replaced about 3x....as your car warms up, the thermostat opens up and replaces the hot fluid with cooler fluid keeping your car at the right temp...when your thermostat doesn't open then that's when your car over heats....i'd go ASAP and get that looked at....the end result could be bad (cracked radiator is way more expensive than getting the thermostat replaced and examined!)

Mike Gerber
12-22-2004, 01:44 PM
First, check to make sure the radiator is filled with coolant. Do this when the engine is cold. If the radiator is full, then jenner is correct. If you do it yourself or take it somewhere, the first thing they will do is replace the thermostat. It is probably sticking closed. This is an easy DIY repair. Get a Haynes or a Chiltons manual and try to do this yourself. You will save yourself some money. If you don't feel comfortable trying this yourself, then by all means bring it in to some place quickly. Do not continue to drive the car this way. A cracked radiator could be the least of your problems if you continue to drive it this way. Serious engine damage could result. You can warp the cylinder head or crack the block. The aluminum parts of your engine do not take well to overheating as did the engines of years ago made of cast iron.

Good luck with the problem.

Mike

gelcol
12-24-2004, 08:42 PM
Mine has clog radiator w/ calcium deposites after opens up the plastic radiator and replace with copper head radator w/ 2 layer. runs great afterwards.

jsinton
12-26-2004, 10:43 AM
No heat...Car overheating?...Sounds like for sure you have no water. Hope you didn't toast your motor already.

kcg795
12-27-2004, 04:16 PM
It would have a shitload of heat if the thermostat was stuck closed. What's funny about my 84 Toyota Van is that the thermostat got stuck in the closed position. I have 2 heater cores. One for front. One for rear. I turned them both on full blast and finished my trip. The temperature stayed down just enough to not cook the engine.

But if you're not getting heat and it's overheating, then it does sound like a loss of fluid.

Add your comment to this topic!