Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 F-150

LTJGWorth
12-21-2004, 09:28 PM
I have a 2000 F-150 supercab 4.6 automatic with 4-wheel disc brakes and every time i press the brakes to slow down from about 45 mph and below, the truck vibrates. Is it the rotors, calipers, abs, or pads... or something else. Also, everytime I use the emergency brake (i have to park on a hill) it doesn't want to disengage and it squeeks loudly until it finally pops loose after being driven. Any ideas?

ModMech
12-22-2004, 10:37 AM
The parking brakes are located on the inside of the rear rotors, if they are hangine up, it is very likely that they have cause the rear rotors to overheat warping them. This could explain your vibration while braking.

Have the E-brake system function and rear rotors checked by a reputable shop in your area.

LTJGWorth
12-22-2004, 12:02 PM
Thanks. Also, I've noticed that after the truck sits overnight, it takes it way too long to get oil pressure. The first time it happened, I thought it was because it was cold and I had parked it on an incline with the front of the truck facing downhill, but last night, I parked the truck flat and I had no oil pressure this morning when I started it up. After shutting it off and starting it up a few times, it finally gets pressure and maintains it. Any ideas?

ModMech
12-23-2004, 01:07 AM
Bad oil pressure switch.

BTW, you do NOT have an oil pressure gauge. The gauge, if you notice, reads the same at all times (except when the enigne is off). The "gauge" is switched at the filter housing, there is no pressure sender.

LTJGWorth
12-23-2004, 11:49 AM
Ok. I'm new to the Ford scene so if I say something a little stupid or off, that's why. I'm used to dealing with Dodge and GM vehicles. Thanks for the input.

LTJGWorth
12-23-2004, 05:07 PM
I was thinking, if that's not an oil pressure guage, then what is it? And why would it be hooked to an oil pressure switch if it wasn't an oil pressure guage?

ModMech
12-24-2004, 05:09 PM
Ask Ford, they have been doing this for about 15 years now.

I consider it false advertising, all their literature says "oil pressure gauge", yet it is definately NOT a gauge (a gauge means that it will indicate realtive and changing pressure, speed, temperature etc, which this does NOT).

It would be like them saying they installed a speedo that reads only 0, 30 and 60 discreetly.

LTJGWorth
12-24-2004, 07:34 PM
Yea I noticed today that my owner's manual says oil pressure gauge, and I do agree that the "guage" doesn't change with RPM speed like other vehicles I've seen. So it's really more of an oil pressure indicator, or it indicates that you have oil pressure or not. Thanks for the help.

Add your comment to this topic!