Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission Fluid

s10blazerman4x4
12-21-2004, 06:55 PM
Going to change the tranny gasket and fluid for the first time in my 91 s10 blazer 4.3. I know everyone on here says to go with the synthetic but i have a question. Is the synthetic good for a transmission with a 162 thousand miles on it? I know with the engines its really not that good because its too light but what about in the tranny? Will this then mess up the transfer case if i switch to synthetic or is that all the same

BlazerLT
12-21-2004, 07:30 PM
I honestly can't see any harm coming from it. If it doesn't leak now, it usually won't after.

Make sure you replace the tranny filter as well.

Synthetics will help with power and fuel economy if you swap out your conventioanl in the tranny, transfer case, and front and rear differentials.

They flow so much better than cold and reduce drag on your driveline.

s10blazerman4x4
12-21-2004, 09:02 PM
i was looking for the drain plug but didnt see one one the transfer case so thats why i asked about is all that the same fluid in the tranny and transfer case. its an automatic.

BlazerLT
12-21-2004, 10:22 PM
No, there is two separate plugs on the transfer case if memory serves me correctly.

One near the top and one on the bottom. Remove the top first, then remove the bottom one and make sure you have something set to catch the fluid.

The tranny and the transfer case do NOT share a fluid resevoir.

Add your comment to this topic!