Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

question

VA Tech7
12-21-2004, 04:49 PM
Sorry this is a little off topic but no one answers me anywhere else. I'm only sixteen so I don't really know much about the insurance but does anything happen to it if you add stuff like intake, exhaust, etc? (nothing like superchargers or nos)

curtis73
12-21-2004, 08:57 PM
Nope. In general they insure your car based on its year, make, model, and mileage. They have a computer program that estimates the value of your car, the cost of repair parts, the frequency of their involvement in accidents, and the frequency of theft. If you buy a cheap Porsche chances are it will cost more to insure than an expensive Toyota. Porsches are more frequently stolen and more expensive to fix if damaged. They also get into more accidents where there is large money involved.

If you add intake, exhaust, and other goodies it depends on what you wish to do. It depends on your contract, but for the most part the cost of aftermarket parts like that is similar to factory replacements. For that reason its often times a wash. If your car gets smashed and they decide to repair it, the cost to replace the factory intake will be similar to the cost of the aftermarket one. In general, one of two things happen; either they assess the damage and give you a check which you can use to repair the car or blow it all on hookers. Or, they coordinate things through the body shop of your choice and you never deal with the money. In that case, just coordinate with your body shop as to what you want.

If the car gets stolen, the check you get will reflect the value of the car, which is no greater with aftermarket parts. They'll send you a check for the fair market value of the car. If you make a fuss, often they will add the value of your aftermarket parts and subtract the value of the factory replacements, but sometimes you make out worse. My cold air intake cost me $100, but a replacement factory one from Chevy costs $200.

Your insurance premiums shouldn't go up if you add those items. If you add $30,000 of custom accessories, you'll need to make sure its insured accordingly, or your car that cost $40,000 to you will only get a $10,000 check in the mail. :)

VA Tech7
12-22-2004, 07:24 PM
thank you

Add your comment to this topic!