Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Strange Starting Problem

BlazerHater
12-20-2004, 03:44 PM
I tried searching thru all the numerous threads to find my problem, but didn't see anything exactly like it. Here's my problem:
A couple weeks ago I noticed that when I started my 1993 s10 Blazer (4.3L Vortec) it acted like something was "catching" and it was hesitant turning over. This happened maybe one out of five starts. Ran fine when it was started. I came out of work one day and turned the key forward, and it wouldn't do anything. I had a full charge on the battery, but when I turned the key, the normal dash lights came on, but it wouldn't turn over or anything. No clicking noise, no nothing. I left the truck there for a couple weeks(I was really broke) and then had it towed to my house. The battery by this time had completely died, so I replaced it. I tried turning it over and it started right up! Tried it a bunch more times and it was fine. I drove it around that night and had no problems starting. I came out the next morning, and it was a little sluggish turning over like before, but started on the first try. I drove down the road to my sister's, turned the truck off, went to start back up 5 minutes later and it wouldn't turn over or anything. Full battery, lights came on, but nothing when I turned the key all the way. Any ideas what it might be? I'm thinking the starter, solenoid, or ignition. Is anyone familiar with this problem?

Sunliner
12-20-2004, 03:52 PM
I had a similar scenario develop & it finally died on me-couldn't even turn the key to get the tranny into neutral so I could push it out of the garage.
Turned out to be the ignition switch.

Got jacked at the dealership for 316 bucks ($ 180 was for labor)...have since found out (through this forum) that it's fairly easy to replace this yourself.
-Mike

BlazerHater
12-20-2004, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the input. That was definitely something I considered. Anyone esle have any other thoughts as to what it is?

Mikado14
12-20-2004, 06:47 PM
You need to get a test light and touch it to the solenoid terminal on the starter while you have someone turn the ignition to start. If your switch is good, the light will light. This is a first step to checking.

BlazerHater
12-20-2004, 07:00 PM
Thanks alot, at least now I know where to start. I just wish the starter wasn't in such a p.i.t.a. place to get to.

BlazerLT
12-21-2004, 12:44 AM
That or the connections to and from the starter need to be cleaned and tightened.

How is the battery voltage.

Go test it with a voltmeter with the engine off, and again with the engine running.

blazes9395
12-21-2004, 01:46 AM
Like LT said, check battery voltage, check connections at starter, etc. Also I would take a good look at the solonoid. Sounds like its time for a new soloniod/starter.

BlazerHater
12-21-2004, 08:36 PM
AHHHHHHHHH! Checked the power to the starter and everything looked good so we nixed the ignition switch problem. Took the starter/solenoid out and the solenoid was shot. The starter looked like it was in decent shape-brushes were ok and the bearings were worn, but not too bad. Replaced the solenoid and the motherf^&*er still wouldn't turn over. It's got to be the starter, so now I have to try and return the solenoid which was already installed(they better take it back) and buy the whole starter assembly. I could kick myself in the a$$ for not just buying the whole thing in the firstplace. FUUUUUUUUUCCC***************

BlazerLT
12-21-2004, 10:25 PM
Yea, I always get a new whole starter seeing you will know that everything is brand new.

BlazerHater
12-22-2004, 06:23 PM
New starter's in, and lo and behold.............. IT STARTS!!! Thanks for the advice, and hopefully that'll be the last "I need help" post for awhile. Happy Holidays to all.

BlazerLT
12-22-2004, 11:43 PM
Good to see you rolling. Enjoy your truck.

kalamar
12-26-2004, 02:50 PM
It aint fixed! you talked about it "catching" well do you mean kinda kicking back? like its out of time? Question? has it rained about the same time your problem started? I have the same problem with my 89 blazer and it still aint fixed!

Add your comment to this topic!