Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

IS Volvo 850GLT 1993 a good car

mark4jon
12-20-2004, 01:01 PM
Hi all,

I was wondering if Volvo's are reliable as far as the engine and trans are concerned.
There is a 93 850 GLT that i am thinking of buying. I heard that volvos are expensive to maintain. Is that true?.

I will need to replace the left headlight because its busted, the bulb works , but the glass cover is broken. Also the moonroof is kinda stuck, motor works , but seems like there is something stuck in the track.

Also the check engine light and the ABS lights are on.
I also noticed an engine leak, and will get it checked.

I have driven the car for about 500 miles now (for 3 weeks) and it hasn't given any probs yet, Engine fires well and trans shifts smoothly even at 5000 rpm, thats when i floor the gas pedal.

Boy its fun to drive this car, especially on the freeway.

COnsidering all the probs i mentioned , I'm not sure whether it would be sensible to buy the car, but i am getting a good deal.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

94-850
03-27-2005, 11:33 AM
Hi all,

I was wondering if Volvo's are reliable as far as the engine and trans are concerned.
There is a 93 850 GLT that i am thinking of buying. I heard that volvos are expensive to maintain. Is that true?.

I will need to replace the left headlight because its busted, the bulb works , but the glass cover is broken. Also the moonroof is kinda stuck, motor works , but seems like there is something stuck in the track.

Also the check engine light and the ABS lights are on.
I also noticed an engine leak, and will get it checked.

I have driven the car for about 500 miles now (for 3 weeks) and it hasn't given any probs yet, Engine fires well and trans shifts smoothly even at 5000 rpm, thats when i floor the gas pedal.

Boy its fun to drive this car, especially on the freeway.

COnsidering all the probs i mentioned , I'm not sure whether it would be sensible to buy the car, but i am getting a good deal.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Hold out for a 94 or newer. I was at the dealer the other day with my 94 and he said It was a good thing that I got a 94 instead of a 93 because the parts for 94 fit many years whereas the parts for the 93 were pretty much specific to the 93.
As far as the ABS light is concerned, it's more then likely the abs control unit, they are notorious for going bad, at the dealer I believe they are 500.00 plus, but aftermarket if you can get one for that year are about half that.

Volvos are expensive to maintain at the dealer. I've had mine for a year next week, so far it's cost me a total of $550 (aftermarket AC compressor, installation and recharge), $120 (I washed the engine with a hose -never ever do that- and got soem sensors wet which caused the check engine light to come on and drop a couple cylinders), $100.00 for 4 oil changes.

Depends on where the engine is leaking and if it's oil or coolant. These cars are also notorious for getting a clog in some filter on the intake, and building up back pressure and causing the engine to leak oil which then becomes expensive to fix at times.

Overall, unless your getting a really really exceptional deal, I'd pass on it.

nismo4banger
04-10-2005, 02:29 PM
The 93 is a good car. Most of the parts are the same as other 850's except for the bumpers, headlight, taillights, ect. The wheels are also 4 lug instead of five. My brother has one with 180K miles on it and it still runs strong. Have that Check Engine Light thing fixed before you buy especially if you have to pass emmissions.

peacexisxfree
03-31-2006, 03:49 AM
Hold out for a 94 or newer.

These cars are also notorious for getting a clog in some filter on the intake, and building up back pressure and causing the engine to leak oil which then becomes expensive to fix at times.

Overall, unless your getting a really really exceptional deal, I'd pass on it.
or you if it wouldnt totally break you if you had to spend $40-$200 (or more, depending on your mechanic skills) at a time

i agree. even then, these cars do have some issues. their rear main seals are known for going out, as well as a few other things that i wont get into because i dont want to scare you away. if youre into the car and can afford to put some cash into it every now and then, id go for it. being able to do minor repairs will save you hundreds, if not thousands of dollars. remember, youre not dealing with a ford probe that was built in michigan.

what you are referring to is the positive crankcase ventilation (pcv) system. you can have everything and replaced/cleaned in about 4-5 hours on your own.

Re: the last sentence: or you if it wouldnt totally break you if you had to spend $40-$200 (or more, depending on your mechanic skills) at a time

TheMan5952
04-30-2006, 08:27 AM
They are good cars. Only a couple year specific parts. if you want a little more power find a t-5 but other wise they are good. The PCV or Flame trap as Volvo calls them are a general maintenance item the most people forget about.

Add your comment to this topic!