Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

info on holdens for the american

ImportNut1212
03-04-2002, 05:40 PM
Hey everyone, i just wanted to know if you guys knew of any pics, and information on holdens. i saw some of them on a website, the newer ones, and damn they are badass looking. if you could post pics, websites, or any written info i'd be in your debt. thanks a bunch.:sun:

Judge
03-04-2002, 10:10 PM
HSV history site :) (http://www.netspace.net.au/~pascale/)

and

this page is alright, doesnt have the VX though :cool: (http://members.tripod.com/holdenhistory/)

TriStateGuy
03-05-2002, 08:20 AM
Check out our conversation here

GTO (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t20416.html)

We might get one as the camaro/firebird replacement with a fully independent rear suspension and... well just goto the link and see for yourself :D

91HBSi
04-07-2002, 08:17 PM
Dear Lord , those things sure are slow to have all that power. They are about as big as a 200SX with the power of a Mustang Cobra and run quarter mile times like my civic :p

91HBSi
04-07-2002, 08:19 PM
... and cost as much as a Porsche 911 :eek:

Downunder
04-08-2002, 02:24 AM
In the real word they should pull low 14's.

This could be a possibility for the look of the american GTO

91HBSi
04-10-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Downunder
In the real word they should pull low 14's.

Now thats what I am talking about :p

Thunda Downunda
04-12-2002, 07:08 PM
quote from 91HBSi:
"They are about as big as a 200SX .. and cost as much as a Porche 911"

you are not of our world .. but speaketh from the land of hideous imaginings,
where civics can fly (see that pig way up there in the sky?)

RICE-LAND :buck

91HBSi
04-13-2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Thunda Downunda
quote from 91HBSi:
"They are about as big as a 200SX .. and cost as much as a Porche 911"

you are not of our world .. but speaketh from the land of hideous imaginings,
where civics can fly (see that pig way up there in the sky?)

RICE-LAND :buck

Your just jealous :p

ozxterra
05-19-2002, 11:19 PM
Comparing a CIVIC to a Holden??!!?:eek2:

Rice doesnt compare to steak:frog:

91HBSi
05-21-2002, 01:02 PM
I wasn't comparing civics to Holdens, I was just saying that the Holdens I looked up on the internet had like 300 hp and were running 15.5's and 16.0 in the quarter mile. I am just wondering where the power is going, because they dont look that heavy.

Don't get my wrong I would love to have one of those cars, they look awsome and I know that some of them are pretty fast.

The only reason I have a civic is because I am poor and I need something with good gas milage and reliability. I don't think Hondas are the greatest things in the wolrd, some Hondas are really nice (S2000, NSX, CL Type-S, etc) but civics are just grocery carts that can be made fast.

I do like my little civic though :licker:

ozxterra
05-22-2002, 12:22 AM
No worries! :D

Moppie
05-22-2002, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by 91HBSi
Dear Lord , those things sure are slow to have all that power. They are about as big as a 200SX with the power of a Mustang Cobra and run quarter mile times like my civic :p

Where on earth do you get this peice of totaly crap information from?

They are quite a bit bigger than a 200sx, and certianly weigh a hell of a lot more.
And they will do things to your Civic in both a straight line and around corners that will have you crying all the way back to your mother.

However that said, a Taxi is still a Taxi, even if you take the Taxi sign off.
Im quite disapointed Holden didnt make the Coupe look a little more differnt from the Sedan. Unless you see them from the side, or have time to take a closer look from the frount or the back they do bear a rather strong resemblance to a standard SS or HSV. (except for those rice boy tail lights)

Downunder
05-22-2002, 12:46 AM
Stock the holden LS1's run mid to low 14's depending on the driver. The problem is the launch as the IRS is a bad design which is past it's used by date. Also the computer has a tourqe limiter set in the program and other sneeky things which holden put in. Once there are no more misteries about the computer and mods done to improve the IRS it will all fall into place:)

Moppie
05-22-2002, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Downunder
Once there are no more misteries about the computer and mods done to improve the IRS it will all fall into place:)

Actualy the extra little arms designed by Lotus for the Opel Carlton and used on all the new HSV models goes along way to adressing the suspension problem, and with the right tweaking they can be made to launch very well.

Its a similar set up as used on the old BMWs, and my even older 2500TC triumph. Which had plenty of grip off the line, (altough it did suffer from the lack of a swaybar in corners). It is certianly an old design, but its still very effective, and uses up a lot less space than the IRS used by Ford. Something that needs to be taken into consideration in a car marketed for its large interior space.

And I didnt know they used a Toruqe limiter. The 6sp and Auto boxs they now use should be more than capable of handleing the Power, so maybe the diff isnt as strong as it could be?

However its about time they got an standard HSV model into the sub 15s. Honda have been doing it with the CRX since 1990. :D

Now all I need is the SiR for during the week, and a new GTO for the long trips to the Coromandle on the weekends. :smoker2:

Downunder
05-22-2002, 09:43 AM
Actualy the extra little arms designed by Lotus for the Opel Carlton and used on all the new HSV models goes along way to adressing the suspension problem, and with the right tweaking they can be made to launch very well.

The link is also available on all holden models. It has improved the setup but doesn't stop from going off camber when you need the grip.

Its a similar set up as used on the old BMWs, and my even older 2500TC triumph. Which had plenty of grip off the line, (altough it did suffer from the lack of a swaybar in corners). It is certianly an old design, but its still very effective, and uses up a lot less space than the IRS used by Ford. Something that needs to be taken into consideration in a car marketed for its large interior space.

Fords AV update is supposed to have an even more sophisticated IRS with the inclusion of technology taken from the Focus and will be the first rear wheel drive car to adopt it.

And I didnt know they used a Toruqe limiter. The 6sp and Auto boxs they now use should be more than capable of handleing the Power, so maybe the diff isnt as strong as it could be?

The auto has torque management which reduces the amount of torque during shifts and this in turn stuffs up the performance. The computer somehow restricts the engine on how much torque it can produce. This is on both gearboxes. Also the 6 speed is a strong box but has been broken a few times')

However its about time they got an standard HSV model into the sub 15s. Honda have been doing it with the CRX since 1990. :D

I think you mean mid to low 14s:) HSV's started as high 14's, low 15's with the 5 litre cars in the VP-VT

Now all I need is the SiR for during the week, and a new GTO for the long trips to the Coromandle on the weekends. :smoker2:

I'd love a Devil Yellow Monaro with 20 inch rims:D

91HBSi
05-22-2002, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Moppie

Where on earth do you get this peice of totaly crap information from?

They are quite a bit bigger than a 200sx, and certianly weigh a hell of a lot more.
And they will do things to your Civic in both a straight line and around corners that will have you crying all the way back to your mother.

However that said, a Taxi is still a Taxi, even if you take the Taxi sign off.
Im quite disapointed Holden didnt make the Coupe look a little more differnt from the Sedan. Unless you see them from the side, or have time to take a closer look from the frount or the back they do bear a rather strong resemblance to a standard SS or HSV. (except for those rice boy tail lights)

Lol, I knew Moppie would be in there somewhere :p
I agree I have been missinformed, they just LOOK small. And like I said before I don't think my civic is God or anything, I was just wondering what the deal was with the price tag on these cars. I didn't really see anything too special about them. I am sure they are well engineered cars with many good aspects, thus the price, I just didn't see that from a picture, a price, and the hp/trq with the quarter mile time (that is all the information given)

I wasn't trying to flame them or anything. Moppie you are too used to hanging out in the forums where people argue about everything, I think it has taken a toll on your quickness to aggression :p

Moppie
05-27-2002, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by 91HBSi

I wasn't trying to flame them or anything. Moppie you are too used to hanging out in the forums where people argue about everything, I think it has taken a toll on your quickness to aggression :p

Me? AGRESIVE! :devil: :devil:

:D

You should have read enough of my posts to know I dont get agresive, but I do like a good debate.

Downunder Its only the newer HSV's fitted with the LS1 that made into the 14s. (and the few highpo senators from before the LS1).
Either that or my little Civic is a hell of a lot quicker than I think it is.

oh, and I saw a black GTO the other day, looked good except for these silly BLue racing strips running down the bonnet and over the roof. Forunatly they stopped at the back window.

Add your comment to this topic!