Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

suspension & chassie creaks ???

Huffa
12-19-2004, 05:48 PM
My 91 Accord with 170,000 on rides nice & quiet in the warmer months.

Colder months come and it starts creaking. What wears on the chassie- suspension to do this? Is it certain bushings that get hard and less pliable causing the creaks, then when it warms up the rubber gets a little softer which makes the suspension get plusher and the creaks dissapear?

You hear them most (F & B) when you go over consecutive bumps in a row or a sharp abrut bump. Smooth highway it never happens, only when your working the suspension travel 1/2 decent does the noise appear.

Warm months come, it's gone again.

I guess it's time for new struts too. Would you replace struts & springs or just the struts? I heard when the they get old the springs can actually break and this is why I ask.

Even with the creaks the car rides really nice but bet the ride could be improved a fair amount (20% maybe??) with all new bushings, struts & springs.

94hondaacc
12-20-2004, 11:01 AM
yeah you should change al those things with your mileage. you should change your springs and struts together cause its better like that. your struts go bad when your springs are bad, so changin both is best.

Add your comment to this topic!