Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help for newbie please TS cans to AB

joelo59
12-18-2004, 02:14 PM
Hello
I have a double action tamiya AB and I was trying for the first time taking out the paint of the TS spray cans to use with my AB. At first it was painting awsome, but a little later I got like little drops of paint when I pressed the trigger, and also the paint started to get textured. When I take out the paint from the spray I wait like 2 min for it to gas out. Is this to short? Do I have to wait more?. Another thing is that the paint when come out at first is very thin but after a little while it gets thicker. Do I have to use thinner because some guys dont use thinner for this method and get awsome results. Oh another detail, I had to take out some more paint out of the spray can because I ran out, then I got this little problems. Any help will be great

pre98zetec
12-18-2004, 03:38 PM
http://www.briansmodelcars.com/tutorials/tutorial.asp?TutorialID=3&CurPage=1

hirofkd
12-18-2004, 03:49 PM
If the paint seems to dry too fast to your taste, add a few drops of Mr. Retarder by Creos (formerly Gunze). This product is meant to deliberately slow down the drying time so that the paint lay down on the surface smoother. I know a pro who uses a mix of 50% thinner and 50% Retarder to make his own custom made thinner. You can also try Creos's Mr. Leveling Thinner, which almost has the same effect.

tonioseven
12-18-2004, 04:55 PM
Where can this Creos be purchased? I'd like to try it.

hirofkd
12-18-2004, 07:00 PM
Many places still list their products by Gunze Sangyo instead of GSI Creos. Anyway, Best1Hobby lists the Retarder, but not the big 400 ml bottle of Leveling Thinner.
http://www.best1hobby.com/html/gunze/tool.html

ImolaEK
12-18-2004, 07:20 PM
Many places still list their products by Gunze Sangyo instead of GSI Creos. Anyway, Best1Hobby lists the Retarder, but not the big 400 ml bottle of Leveling Thinner.
http://www.best1hobby.com/html/gunze/tool.html

Awesome! I have been meaning to get some Gunze Sangyo stuff as well as Finisher's paints.

freakray
12-18-2004, 07:34 PM
Tonio, Scaleracecars.com carries a lot of the Gunze/Creos stuff, if there's anything special you want, just contact David and I am sure he can get it.

tonioseven
12-18-2004, 10:33 PM
Great!! I'll contact him Monday!:sunglasse

RallyRaider
12-19-2004, 08:01 AM
I always let the decanted paint gass out for several hours but some people use it straight way with no problem. So long as it doesn't boil over in the cup and make a mess it should be okay.

Sounds like the paint is getting too thick. Just regular automotive lacquer thinner is okay to thin down decanted TS paints. Tamiya already have a retarder in there. At least it seems that way to me becuase the rattlecan paint always takes longer to dry than straight airbrushed lacquer.

ImolaEK
12-19-2004, 09:06 AM
Sounds like the paint is getting too thick. Just regular automotive lacquer thinner is okay to thin down decanted TS paints. Tamiya already have a retarder in there. At least it seems that way to me becuase the rattlecan paint always takes longer to dry than straight airbrushed lacquer.

Wouldn't the automotive lacquer thinner melt the plastic???I have been meaning to ask that question for a while.

360spider
12-19-2004, 09:27 AM
Yes, it would if used without primer.

joelo59
12-19-2004, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the help but I saw that my AB needle is kind of bent. I think this is the problem.

robrex
12-19-2004, 03:49 PM
You should pick yourself up a cheap moisture trap as well. I had the same problem and after fitting the trap haven't had any problems.

Add your comment to this topic!