Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Supa Duped by the Supra

mayo_1981
12-18-2004, 08:31 AM
I just finished the AMT/ERTL 1995 Toyota Supra from Fast and Furious and man I'm ticked off! I'm sure we all know the look of those sexy green side decals very well. Well, in my kit they didn't fit. Those long 4 or 5 inch decals don't fit. I had to apply, then reapply, then reapply again. The decal kept drying and cracking, it was folding and cracking a total nightmare for me. Is it possible to test out decal size and shape to make sure it fits properly? Can someone please tell me what would have been the proper course of action?

Here's a picture of the model here:

http://www.3000toys.com/catalog/item_detail.asp?itemfind=ERTL31980

proosen
12-18-2004, 11:35 AM
Well, if you don't have any decal solutions..get them. I use Microscales two bottles Micro Set and Micro Sol. Set is brushed on before the decal is placed on the model and it kills all grease and makes the decal adhere a lot better. If it's a lot of compound curves just proceed with Sol and it will soften the decal and force it to conform. It it's a plain surface just brush on more Set and it will be fine. There is other products out there that do the same thing, but I have not worked with anything beside these two.

Good luck!
Niclas

willimo
12-18-2004, 12:32 PM
Often, for complex decals that I am unsure of the placement of, I will take my decals down to the nearby copy shop and print off a copy of them. Then I cut the copy out, just as I would the real deal, and place it on the model to be sure it fits properly, and how to align it.

Murco
12-19-2004, 09:30 AM
Often, for complex decals that I am unsure of the placement of, I will take my decals down to the nearby copy shop and print off a copy of them. Then I cut the copy out, just as I would the real deal, and place it on the model to be sure it fits properly, and how to align it.
Hell, that's a terrific idea that I wouldn't of thought of!!! TY!

ATMDC
12-20-2004, 12:12 AM
when using microsol do you need to use a hair dryer for hard curves, or do you let it dry then bend it and apply more?

turbos86
12-20-2004, 12:37 AM
when using microsol do you need to use a hair dryer for hard curves, or do you let it dry then bend it and apply more?

I just brush them on top of the decal and wait for it to bend down. Not sure how everyone does it, but i just follow the guide that can be in the FAQ.

Add your comment to this topic!