Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

still very rough in idle

jennner
12-17-2004, 09:37 PM
I made an earlier post about how my car was hesitating when I hit the gas pedal and ran rough in idle...well, since then I was told that I needed to replace my catalytic converter (that it was clogged) so I did that and also a fuel injection cleaner...ran a lot better without hesitation while driving but still when coming to stop and idling...next I was told that it was my Mass Air Flow Sensor which I replaced...now it is still doing it and I'm about to lose my mind...this is what I have had done to my car thus far.....

1) rotors, plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter (major tune-up)

2) upper radiator hose, transmission flush/fill

3) thermostat replacement (3x)

4) water pump, timing belt

5) new alternator, battery

6)power steering

7) catalytic converter

8) mass air flow sensor

i guess my question would be whether or not my plugs, wire, any sensors etc could be causing this problem...i just had that tune up in april and that was the start of the problems - PLEASE HELP!

Thanks!

jsinton
12-18-2004, 12:02 AM
If it runs rough at idle, but once it's going down the road it's ok, then you have a clogged EGR valve. I will give you 10 to 1 odds that that is the problem.

Here's the 5 cent test...

Try finding it under your hood: It's a round thing with hoses going in it. It is bolted to the rear of the intake manifold, and there's a metal tube connecting it underneath (to the exhaust, I think). While your car is running at rough idle, try rapping this EGR valve with a hammer (don't break it). You're trying to dislodge the valve inside into closing. If it suddenly starts to idle properly, then you know that's your problem. This happened to me, and it made me crazy trying to figure it out. Once you dislodge the valve, it idles like magic. Good luck, Commander!

jennner
12-19-2004, 09:56 PM
Well, considering that I am a ignorant girl when it comes to cars...I couldn't find that part ....probably ever. I will try to get someone else to find it for me though haha. Thanks for your input :) I'm really hating this car right now....

jsinton
12-19-2004, 10:58 PM
What year is your Camry?

jennner
12-20-2004, 10:04 PM
its a 1991 Toyota Camry DLX V6 2.5L

Add your comment to this topic!