Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Adjusting Rocker Arms.

Rich
03-04-2002, 11:16 AM
As I could get no replys over in the Chevy forums, I decided to re-post this here

My 93 Caprice w/350 has the lifter tick thing going on. Blue smoke and all. The engine has to last 2-3 more months (until late spring) before my new 330HP 350ci(I just ordered it) can be installed, as I wont have access to a garage and I will need to do all the work outside, and its very cold here right now.

Anyways, I was told that I could "Adjust" my Rocker Arms and that may help for a while. Ive never worked with the rockers before, and I am wondering how in-depth this would be. If it requires me pulling the engine, then it is not worth it.

Anyone care to explain the procedure?

Thanks.

ivymike1031
03-04-2002, 12:49 PM
if you've got hydraulic lash adjusters ("hydraulic lifters"), and I'm guessing that you do, I don't think that you'll have much luck trying to adjust the lash mechanically.

If you did have mechanical lash adjustment, the procedure would typically be as simple as pulling the valve covers off and turning an adjustment screw on each rocker arm (measure proper clearance w/ feeler gauge).

Somebody can perhaps correct me on this, as I'm by no means an expert, but I thought that blue smoke was typically indicative of burning oil? If your engine is burning oil, I doubt that adjusting the valve lash will have any impact whatsoever on the problem.

Add your comment to this topic!