Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 Cavalier hard to start (Sometimes)

h2odog
12-16-2004, 05:03 PM
Hello All,
My '96 Cavalier starts great most of the time however, every once in a while it acts like it is flooded out. The engine turns over fine with plenty of spark but there is a strong fuel odor under the hood when it won't start.

Usually after it sits for a while it will start right up.

Had it towed to the shop the first time it wouldn't start. When the mechanic tried to start it it fired right up and he could not find anything wrong.

I dont know too much about fuel injection, but I'm wondering if the fuel pressure regulator may be sticking closed. I also considered the possibility of idle air control (IAC) valve.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

public
12-16-2004, 05:46 PM
You may have a injector sticking open. This lets fuel into the cylinder after shut down. This gives you a flooded engine.

h2odog
12-16-2004, 06:26 PM
Is there a way to check the injector? I assume you would have to check it when the problem occurs.

deathlinx
01-03-2005, 05:39 PM
Hello, Iam having the same problem with my 1996 Cavalier as well, it is getting on my nerves.
Please Help

Classicrocjunkie
01-03-2005, 08:21 PM
Check your plugs and wires for corrosion of just being faulty. To check the injectors you need to take the whole fuel rail off... i would start with the plugs and wires or maybe even the coil packs.

blackedout
01-03-2005, 08:47 PM
you don't need to take the fuel rail off to check the injectors... it takes about a whole two minutes to check them.. and you can do it as long as the car is running.
USE EXTREME CAUTION WHILE VEHICLE IS RUNNING
you only need a straight blade screwdriver (of a descent size). once the car is running but the blade end of the screwdriver to the injector and the handle end to your right up against your ear and listen for clicking... you may find one that isn't clicking or not clicking like the others (like it's sticking).
OR
do the same thing with a special tool that kinda looks like a stethoscope

Add your comment to this topic!