Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 Bumper Fender Bender;Will paint flake?

dwmitch
12-16-2004, 08:43 AM
Someone bumped into me in the rear fender. It was a pretty good hit, but I was able to wipe off essentially all of the black from his bumper that had transferred to mine. It caused no real visibal damage (i.e., creases, broken tail lights, etc.), a credit to the quality of the construstruction, because I felt a pretty good thump.

I do notice a few, about 5 or 6 small vertical scratches that extend about 2 inches in length, which I am sure was caused by the bump. My question is... is the color of the bumper imbedded into the plastic/rubber, or is it painted on. I am concerned if later on down the road the paint will begin to flake off. If so, I guess I just need to get it replaced. I'm sure some body shop guys out there know the answer.

bigrod118
12-16-2004, 04:13 PM
no your bumpers are painted.

bermis519
12-17-2004, 08:48 AM
Someone hit my back bumper at walmart about a year ago and there are two little marks where it took the hit and the bumper cracked a very little bit, like enough to put a crack in the paint, it's not peeling for flaking off at all, my impala is also dark blue in color.

mike

dwmitch
12-17-2004, 02:48 PM
Thanks guys.

I have looked at it pretty closely. I think I am going to be OK. I am leary about having a shop repaint it as it may end up being more trouble and hardship than it is worth, and even a new paint job may not be what I truely would want and expect (i.e., may not get perfectly matched paint colors or that paint job may end up flaking in the future). I appreciate your responses.

Add your comment to this topic!