Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Mercury Topaz Heater Problems.

Fog Dogg
12-16-2004, 12:57 AM
Hey, I'm having a problem with my heating; It takes around 40 minutes for the heat in my Topaz to get hot enough to affect the temperature inside the car. I have no idea what's causing the problem, and I just replaced the thermostat - no difference.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

chris96transport
01-02-2005, 08:35 PM
what year I have a 94 same problem so if any one wants to help I think we would both appreciate it

Fog Dogg
01-02-2005, 08:51 PM
My Topaz is also 1994, and yes, if any can help we would both appriciate it ;)

monicat
01-05-2005, 08:31 PM
I have kind of the same problem with my 1993 topaz, the only thing is its not blowing at all. I can feel the heat and the back window defrosts but no blowing air in the front. help!

chris96transport
01-09-2005, 01:49 PM
monicat i wont say for sure but its probly the fan moter switch /the fan motor fuse or the fan motor its self

cobradude360
01-28-2005, 08:15 AM
to get better heat try a coolent flush r check if ur heater core is cloged

limodrivr
01-30-2005, 10:21 AM
I have a 93 Topax, the heat won't come out the 'vent' (i.e towards hands and face, off the dashboard).
This is probably a hose tee problem.

But you report it doesn't get hot.

Check your coolant level, hoses, ater pumpw

I have replaced 2 water pumps on my Topaz, at 80,000 and 120,000
mi.

If you don't have coolant circulating, it won't ever get hot.

Alos, you culd kill the engine from overheating

Hal

Jerry near St. Lou
03-20-2005, 10:02 PM
If there is enough antifreeze in the radiator, my vote is for a bad thermostat. I just replaced one on my daughter's 94.

It's a very strange design unlike most other thermostats. The 'stat actually goes into the housing and not the block. The two little hooks should point towards the block with the side with the rubber gasket into the housing.. The manual says something about turning the 'stat counter clockwise to release and clockwise to install; however, I could find no reason for this as there was nothing to lock.

After putting in the new 'stat my daughters car gets up to the N in Normal in just a few minutes. Before it would hover at the cold mark unless idling for a long time.

Add your comment to this topic!