Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cruise Control Not working

Phil0968
12-15-2004, 07:49 PM
Alright guys I have had my infiniti for about 8 months now and the cruise control has not worked since i Have gotten it. I press the buttons on the steering wheel and they have zero affect on the car. Any suggestions as to how i might go about zeroing in on the problem. I want the cruise control because I do a lot of freeway driving and it gets annoying holding onto the throttle the entire time. ANY help would be appreciated.

Nahkapohjola
12-16-2004, 03:14 AM
Alright guys I have had my infiniti for about 8 months now and the cruise control has not worked since i Have gotten it. I press the buttons on the steering wheel and they have zero affect on the car. Any suggestions as to how i might go about zeroing in on the problem. I want the cruise control because I do a lot of freeway driving and it gets annoying holding onto the throttle the entire time. ANY help would be appreciated.

Guessing: my maxima has vacuum powered electronic cruise. If mechanically the wiring to throttle is ok and free, not jammed, seek fuses. If they are ok, check the vacuum tubes.

In my car the vacuum is made by a separate small vacuum pump which may be tested separately by taking connector off and serving it directly +12V & gnd. Check the vacuum tubes are ok and not leaking.

Also the vacuum actuator box has inside a diaphragm which may leak. Might ? be possible to replace it, at least the actuator can be tested by introducing vacuum and verifying that it does move the gas ctrl wire.

infinman
12-16-2004, 10:37 AM
Question? Does the green light come on when you push switch to on?

Phil0968
12-20-2004, 09:03 PM
Question? Does the green light come on when you push switch to on?

No it does not. Nothing happens, the buttons on the steering wheel have zeroi affect on the car.

infinman
12-22-2004, 02:06 PM
Just to verify.I'm talking about the switch on the dash , to the right of your steering column.There should be a green light come on when you push the switch.{green light is in the switch}.If it does come on and you have no function of cruise , the most common failure of Infiniti cruise control is the brake light switch .The brake light switch houses two switches.One normally open {for brake lights}, and one normally closed {For ASCD or cruise control cancel}.

littlewillie
12-22-2004, 11:21 PM
When I worked on my headlight relay, I had to unplug the cruise control. The cruise control wiring harness fell down & lay against the firewall. I reinstalled the headlight relay unaware at the time the location of the cruise control wiring harness & it was not plugged back in. The next time I drove the car & tried the cruise, it would not work. After locating the wiring harness & plugging it in, the cruise control started working again.
Check to see if you are plugged in under the hood. On my 95 J30, the cruise control wiring connectors are light gray in color & are located where the left (driver) fender meets the firewall. It is a 2-prong connector that is about 4" from the firewall, lined up with the firewall mounted data plate. If this is not your problem, stick with Infinman. He is the Infiniti KING @ this forum!!

infinman
12-23-2004, 10:43 AM
Littlewillie.Thanks for the "ego booster".You read my mind .Your post entered my mind just after I posted.With all the headlamp relay problems it is possible the cruise actuator wasn't plugged back in after a possible relay repair.
Cheers/Merry Xmas

littlewillie
12-24-2004, 10:59 PM
Phil,
If you get the cruise working again, post back & let us know what the problem was.

Infinman,
Your welcome for the boost. You help alot of folks out here. Merry Christmas!!

Add your comment to this topic!