Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 Passat - Heater Core?

idiot savant
12-15-2004, 03:02 PM
I have an automatic 95 Passat VR6. Recently the water level indicator light started blinking. I checked the water level, which was fine, and like the idiot that I am, drove to work (approx 5 miles). Near my destination, heavy steam started coming out of the A/C and defrost vents. It was so thick and heavy, I couldn't see. Luckily I was in front of a gas station. I pulled up to the water, opened the expansion tank, and put in only a couple gallons of water before it was full. A passer-by mentioned it was most likely the heater core. Is this an accurate assumption?

So far every place I've called, including specialty VW repair places, to inquire if they could replace the heater core, said no and referred me to the dealership service. They also told me to lube up good because its going to cost me.

Should I be looking at something besides the heater core? and would it be relatively easy for a car retard like me to bypass the heater core for the short term and so I can at least drive it to the shop?

boschmann
12-15-2004, 04:14 PM
It sure sounds like the heater core. There are independent shops around that should be familiar with the job, its very common. It is a difficult job. You can get a 1" pipe butt connector & join the two heater hoses where they pass through the firewall to temporarily stop the water loss.

ttworek
02-21-2005, 09:30 PM
I have an automatic 95 Passat VR6. Recently the water level indicator light started blinking. I checked the water level, which was fine, and like the idiot that I am, drove to work (approx 5 miles). Near my destination, heavy steam started coming out of the A/C and defrost vents. It was so thick and heavy, I couldn't see. Luckily I was in front of a gas station. I pulled up to the water, opened the expansion tank, and put in only a couple gallons of water before it was full. A passer-by mentioned it was most likely the heater core. Is this an accurate assumption?

So far every place I've called, including specialty VW repair places, to inquire if they could replace the heater core, said no and referred me to the dealership service. They also told me to lube up good because its going to cost me.

Should I be looking at something besides the heater core? and would it be relatively easy for a car retard like me to bypass the heater core for the short term and so I can at least drive it to the shop?
The same thing happen to my car almost a year ago, I drive 1996 VW Passat GLX, one day I got steam and fog in my car, I checked all possibilities and that was the heater core inside dash. I managed to fix it, the part it self was around $50.00, but labor involved was unbelievable it took me all 4th of July weekend to get this done, it was still better than paying a mechanic for this job. If you willing to repair that by your self you need a lot of time.

ghettoblaster2000
03-04-2005, 06:47 PM
To those that had probs with heater core on vw passat. I have a 95 passat and the heater core went out. I called volkswagen of america and they covered it 100%. They said that they were especially sensitive to heater cores due to a recall on many of the earlier models of vw. They will have you take it to a cerified vw mechanic dealership to get a 100 dollar diagnostic test that will also be waived when vwoa takes care of you. Saved me 1500 bucks. The heater core is the first part they put in the car and they have to take out the whole dash to get to it. Hope I caught you all in time.

Add your comment to this topic!