Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

tach wiring help

Digitalcivic
03-03-2002, 07:56 PM
hey, i'm trying to install my tach but i'm having problems with power. I've grounded the black wire and connected the green wire to the blue distributor wire.

This leaves me with red and white wire coming out of the tach. I connected the 2 together and ran them to my fuse panel, but the power is on all the time.

I tried plugging the wire into the "radio" spot on the fuse panel which works, but then I have no power to my radio.

Can someone please give me a little help.

praxis
03-03-2002, 09:41 PM
Can you post exactly what the instructions say each wire is for? I can help you out with it...but I need this info. first

Digitalcivic
03-03-2002, 09:57 PM
actually I bought the tach used and it didn't come with instructions. But here is what I believe the wires are -

Black - ground
Red - power
White - light (not shift light, just the light that lights up the guage)
Green - tach wire

don't know if thats helpful or not..

thanks

ric
03-03-2002, 11:59 PM
that red wire needs to be hooked to an ign on wire. it should be a really thick wire going into your dash fusebox. make sure you dont hack it up or you'll be in a pretty situation. i just got a tester and poked a hole through the wire trimmed some shielding off with a razor (very carefully) and wrapped the wire around and put a half a roll of electrical tape on it. oh on the lude the big thick wire is yellow with a black stripe, but i dont know if its the same for your ride.

praxis
03-04-2002, 12:41 AM
Black - ground
Red - power
White - light (not shift light, just the light that lights up the guage)
Green - tach wire

Black-obvious

Green-I believe you have this one in the right place.

Red-The purpose of this wire is to tell the tach when the ignition is on. You should splice into the wire that runs from your ignition switch to your under dash fuse box. (92-95 civic)...this wire is yellow and can be located running into fuse holder #13 (7.5 amp). Or which ever fuse controls YOUR ignition.

White-This wire should connect to the light switch...this way it the light on the gauge comes on when you flip the lights on. The best wire to use for this (92-95 civic) would be the red/black wire that runs into fuse holder 19 (10 amp)...or find the fuse that controls your parking lamps (don't use the headlights...then the guage light won't come on unless you have the headlights on).

If you have any ?'s let me know.

p.s. you may want to check that radio fuse. It may have blown.

Add your comment to this topic!