Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

6.5 Midbass driver?

aznxthuggie
12-14-2004, 09:57 PM
hey guys, i got my cdt's a lil while ago, and i just feel that they're lacking horribly in midbass

i was wondering if u guys can recommend me some good 6.5 midbass drivers that are around $160 or less a pair? thanks alot

right now the ones i have in mind are the..
Adire Audio Koda 6
Peerless CSX 6.5
Vifa pl7

what else can u guys recommend

o yea, and these will just sit in my door, im making kicks for my cdt's because of the horrible sound i get right now hah

sr20de4evr
12-14-2004, 10:01 PM
are your doors deadened?

aznxthuggie
12-14-2004, 10:12 PM
well my doors aren't deadened.. but the midbass from the cdt's are comparable to the old pioneers i had, tho deadenening does seem like a good idea, also im going to build kicks after my finals.. u think i should give deadending a try? and which one is better..

brownbread or secondskin?

sr20de4evr
12-14-2004, 10:15 PM
deaden the doors VERY well before even thinking about upgrading midbasses, nothing will perform well at all without heavily deadened doors.

I like secondskin because of the adhesive it uses, but it's more expensive. The only other company that uses a butyl adhesive like that is Dynamat, but they're even more expensive yet.

Go for around 150mils on the door panel itself (the layer that the speaker mounts to) across the whole thing, and then even more on the outer panel to help keep road noise and sound leakage down.

aznxthuggie
12-14-2004, 10:30 PM
ah i c, i thought that as long as the speaker was mounted nice and firm on the door/bracket it would sound pretty good, where can i get secondskin from?
ok nvm im guna get it from them probably, do u think 10 sq ft is enough? thanks

sr20de4evr
12-14-2004, 10:45 PM
not at all, 15-20sqft per door if you want to do it well

aznxthuggie
12-15-2004, 12:01 AM
hey sr20 1 more que

where would be the cheapest place i can get this stuff?

i just kinda think $50 for 10 square feet is a bit much, i mean i can just buy 2 kodas for the price of 30 sq ft haha

also i heard that both dynamat extreme and the secondskin have high heat tolerances right? which means they won't just slide off when it gets too warm?? and will i need the normal dampener, or the dampener pro? thanks

sr20de4evr
12-15-2004, 12:38 AM
http://www.secondskinaudio.com/specialpricing.html
40sqft of the regular damplifier would be perfectly fine

and no, it definitely won't slide off in the heat

bumpinstang77
12-15-2004, 01:57 AM
XXX or Extremis......xbl^2 midbass

aznxthuggie
12-15-2004, 09:47 PM
ah thx, i also just repositioned my tweeter, now its on the dash shooting into the windshield (which is close to cdt's suggestion) which was on the side pillars pointing at the windshield, it sounds much better, and the tweeters are alot less harsh, they were horrible before

but also instead of buying deadening, i think i've decided to go with the kicks, because its just cheaper

the problem is, if i go with the kicks, which will basically make a sealed box for the mid, what can i expect the mid to sound like? punchy? same as before? boomy? thanks

Add your comment to this topic!