Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 camry cold start problems

JoJ
12-14-2004, 09:38 PM
I have a '91 Camry V6 (2.5). It doesn't want to start when it is below 35 degrees or so. I took it to Toyota dealer. They ran a diagnostic check on it and couldn't find anything wrong. It does start great when it is warm or when it is plugged in. It has great spark, compression, and fuel pressure. The cold start injector works. What else could it be?

quincyguy
12-21-2004, 07:38 AM
I'd leave it with a good repair shop o/night and let 'em chase down the problem in the morning.
Could be a tired connection, wire, anything - which cold weather is affecting.
Why the dealer did not suggest this is a mystery.
Merry Christmas

ProMan
12-21-2004, 08:03 AM
When you say it won't start, does the engine crank at all?

typesix
12-21-2004, 02:41 PM
4 cyl Camrys of this year have a cold start injector timer that goes bad and won't fire the cold start injector, V-6s likely have one too.

Mike Gerber
12-21-2004, 04:01 PM
What typesix is talking about Toyota calls a "Cold Start Time Switch". I'm not sure if the V6's of this generation have them or if they do where it actually is located. On the 4's it will be under a brown plastic connector right next to the coolant temp sensor. The coolant temp sensor is under a green connector. There is a resistance spec for these Cold Start Time Switches and they do fail quite often. Check a Haynes or Chiltens manual for the info on the V6 location and the resistance specs.

Mike

JoJ
12-22-2004, 11:29 PM
I did leave my car with the Toyota dealer over night twice. They put the break out box on my car over night and tried starting it in the morning. They said that all of their tests showed that the car was working fine, but it still wouldn't start unless they tried starting it 3 or 4 times (about 5 seconds each try). It turns over fine, but it doesn't fire. I checked and the cold start injector does spray gas when it is cold. If it wasn't spraying long enough (cold start time switch), shouldn't that have shown up with their break out box or their compurter reading machine?

Brian R.
12-23-2004, 01:22 AM
Try this reference:
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h22.pdf

Add your comment to this topic!