Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How Are TBirds in The Snow..?

solaris=amazing
12-14-2004, 07:40 PM
Winters here, and i'm driving my first RWD car, with some power. I'm used to front wheel cars for the past 3 years, and infact i got alot of experiance with them when they lose control. Empty parking lots..2inches of snow= :-)

My bud says that being that the car (he thinks) is probably light in the rear, like mustangs (he had a 5.0 1990) the car could get stuck alot, along with traction thats not to good. I already lost control several times (on purpose) in empty lots, when it just rained to see how they handled and how to correct the steering. That i recomend to anyone who really wants to know how to handle the car when it's out of control.

Now, snow, black ice, slush, how are they in the winter. My biggest concern is the fact that i park in a apt complex lot, where it is NEVER plowed. Lets say if there is like a decent 5 inches on the floor, will i have to shovel? or can i just roll over it like when i had my previous car that where fwd..?

Thanks, now only time will tell. Winter sucks cause i can't stand out there and wash my baby :-(

PS, i can't park on the street cause thats the type of street where atleast once a month someone is missing a drivers side mirror.

97Bird
12-14-2004, 07:55 PM
Go to Tirerack.com and order a set of snow tires mounted on rims. It's cheaper then having snows mounted on your rims and then having to remount your other tires in the spring. I found it was cheaper to buy rims and tires from them ready to bolt on rather then buying tires from a local dealer and having them mount them on rims I could get a the salvage yard. The Bird does act a lot like a Mustang in the snow. Hit the gas a little to hard and you will start to spin!

solaris=amazing
12-14-2004, 08:11 PM
Hey man, nah i'm gonna leave on my goodyears which are mud/snow. They got like 50% left to them.

Another thing i forgot to mention is the traction assist. I always leave this off because i'm used to (now i am, after practice) having the rear end kick out naturally, rather than the tracassist braking one wheel, then you go into a weird left to right limbo-which sucks.

It's gonna snow here in like a week they say, a good amount apparently. NY/Long island etc..

RickwithaTbird
12-15-2004, 01:42 AM
Im kinda scared about black ice and snow too. Ive only driven in hawaii for the last 2 years. Im good about controlling my car, but Ive seen videos where cars just slide and slide and slide, and im afraid of that happening if I even break loose a tiny bit. Too bad snow chains are illegal.

94GreenBeast
12-15-2004, 08:24 AM
All I can say is be smart. Know how no control the back end. Also know how to stear in the opposite direction when it breaks lose. One of the most important factors in snow driving is have good tires. I live in Michigan and we a lot of snow and I did fine last year, being that we had a ton of snow last year. I currently have some BFGoodrich Raidal T/A's, and they work great!

solaris=amazing
12-15-2004, 02:03 PM
Would i be able to roll over snow though?? You know if i gotta go somewhere, and don't have time to shovel, will i be able to go over snow of like 5, 6 inches etc??

Mike75
12-18-2004, 12:10 AM
yes?

Hehe, nobody knows, man. There are too many variables involved in your question. You'll just have to wait and see.

flewthecoupe
12-18-2004, 12:17 PM
I live in Colorado, grew up in Iowa, lived in Georgia and Maryland, and learned to drive under just about any conditions known to man from the weather from traveling the US and from 9 years in the military with time the middle east. I could tell you all day long stories of things I've done and how well or poorly the tbirds (or pickups, or 18 wheelers, etc.) handle on snow and ice. In 17 years of driving, I've thrown chains once and that was to get out of a parking lot. I run Firestone Firehawks on my cars. I have gone through snow that has had front wheel drives get stuck. Not because the tbird is better at going through the crap, it's all in the driver.

So, as Mike75 stated, there are too many variables. Get out there and drive. Be smart. Speed kills but too little speed will get you stuck. Downshift when slowing to help stop faster (can't/shouldn't do that in a fwd on ice/hard pack). If the back end kicks out when accelerating, get off the gas a little, keep it controlled, keep your forward momentum going. If it kicks out when decelerating, put it in neutral. Just some tips and by no means is inclusive.

Add your comment to this topic!