Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Head Light on and off

bobby11
12-14-2004, 07:34 PM
Dear Helpers:

I have problem with headlights. My dashboard light do not work and headlight turns off itself automatically or whenever there is any bump on road.

If I play with switch (high beam/low beam), it will turn ON and after sometime OFF again.

Any idea? Switch problem? Dimmer problem? Wiring problem?

Does headlight have connection directly from battery?

Thanks,
Bobby.

appleman10
12-14-2004, 07:57 PM
theres a common problem with the headlamp relay, I replaced mine and it fixed my headlight problem.

littlewillie
12-14-2004, 10:00 PM
Bobby,
Most headlight problems on the J30 are related to headlight relay. The relay is located under the hood, on the driver side, where the fender meets the firewall. It is on the fender. It is a black box about 3" thick & about 6" wide. Two wiring connectors are plugged into the bottom. The wiring connectors can't be unplugged until the relay is unbolted. The 3 nuts holding the relay are located in the drivers side fender well, right above the tire. The relay can be repaired if you know how to soldier. The soldier joints work loose & a short occurs. It's not an expensive to replace.
The next time you have the headlight problem, tap on the top of the relay with the plastic end of a screwdriver then check to see if the headlight problems are corrected. I've written a guide on how to remove/repair-replace the relay. If you would like a copy of it, email me.

bobby11
12-15-2004, 11:52 AM
[Dear all:

Thanks for sharing precious info. I really love this forum.

Add your comment to this topic!