Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Muffler for '99

wb4lbg
12-14-2004, 01:06 PM
Does anybody like NAPA, AutoZone, etc. sell a muffler to replace the stock one for a '99? My exhaust has rusted off right where the pipe exits the muffler. There's a flange further back toward the tail pile so I assume that the rusted part is actually part of the muffler and not the tail pipe.

I'd really like to get something that I can bolt up and hang in place of what's there because everything else in the exhaust appears to still be in pretty good shape.

Thanks!

JWS
'99 LSE 4WD

amigo-2k
12-14-2004, 03:01 PM
Any good muffler shop should be able to help you out. If you are looking for a bit of a preformance muffler, check out flow masters (know clue as to a good part number).

Whatever you end up doing, post back here, what you got/did. You are one of a few first people posting about needing to replace your muffler.

good luck!

wb4lbg
12-15-2004, 11:24 AM
I spent a little time looking on-line yesterday. Lots of generics out there. I'm guessing that anything but an OEM type muffler won't have the same hangers on it. Would a muffler shop tack hangers onto a generic muffler to hang from the same mounting points under the truck?

I read somewhere else on here that the 'factory' muffler is over $400. Heck, I got everthing from the cat back replaced on my old Accord for a little over $100 a few years ago. Actually, the muffler is OK -- it's just rotted off flush where the pipe exits the back of the muffler. If there was some way to JB Weld a piece of pipe into the hole, I could probably reattach the rest of the exhaust.

Guess I'll do a little more shopping. Owning an Isuzu can get a little expensive when you are unemployed.

JWS

amigo-2k
12-15-2004, 11:40 AM
I would search around a bit of a Flow master. It looks like the 70 series produces the least amount of nosie.

And you are correct. You can take you rodeo in and have a generic cheep can muffler put in. The will just, adjust the hangers.

The OEM muffler weighs like 40 pounds, so be happy you will be lossing some wieght off of your beast!

amigo-2k
12-15-2004, 04:28 PM
http://www.independent4x.com/category.html?UCIDs=1135358

good write up:
http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/dynomax_xj/page2.asp

Add your comment to this topic!