Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002, 4.7 V8..CHECK Engine light on..HELP!

texmiller
12-14-2004, 11:18 AM
I was driving home lastnight from along day at work and about 10mins from home my "check engine" light came on. This just made my day.
So, I pulled over and did the follow.
1. check the gas cap to make sure it was screwed on tight, to trip the sensor
2. turned the truck off, and sat for at least 15mins, then turned the truck back on to see if the computer still picked it up.
* no luck ..the check engine light still came back on*
3. I popped the hood and check the belts, coolant, transmission fluid and oil to make sure all is well. Everything looked fine.
4. Checked the battery and it was still good...had a test in the truck.

SO, my question to you guys and gals is what could be the problem and if anyone else has had this happen, what was it? The diegnostic(sp) is going to coast me 89.00 dollars.

ALSO, I have had problems with breaklights going out ever so often. Anyone else have this problem.

ALONG with a weird, annoying humm coming from the fan when the heater is turned on. This doesn't happen when I turn on the AC. I checked.

ALL of this happened with two week of my warranty going out.

I have 72,000miles on it and I'm wondering what the heck is going on with my truck. I haven't had a problem with it until about 500 miles ago.

BleedDodge
12-14-2004, 02:49 PM
You gotta disconnect the battery to get the light to go out. All it might have been was just a loose gas cap, and now that you've tightened it, the problem might be solved. Try that first.

texmiller
12-14-2004, 04:33 PM
will this help out?
will this solve my problem?

It was alittle lose when opened it, could that have triggered it?

BleedDodge
12-14-2004, 06:16 PM
Of course that would definitely trigger it. I bet that's the only reason why it came on, and there's nothing else wrong...

Cgdm1168
02-15-2005, 03:57 PM
I' ve got the same problem. Disconnected the battery, and checked codes at Advance Auto Parts. came up as a:

P1941 AC Fan Relay, .

When I went to several tech boards, no one could diagnose, as the P1941 code should not apply to 2002 Rams, but only earlier models. even the dealer is confused. .

Did notioce that A/C wil not blow cold in some conditions (i.e. the AC fan clutch won't activiate at idle). But on the road, all seems fine, and to really P.O, can't clear the code.

Aggravating problem that no one seems able to fix!!!!!

danny3572
02-15-2009, 09:34 PM
I had the same problem my mechanic knew what it was right away(if it's the same problem) the 02 4.7, and some other years experience this because of moisture build up near a sensor it can be right after a rain or any kind of moist situation it usually goes away after a short time, sometimes can take longer than others.If it makes you feel any better I confirmed this with two of my local Dodge dealers:evillol:,and they said that in some cases even morning dew can cause it. Hope this helped you out.

00husaberg
01-31-2010, 06:42 AM
I found that P1491 related to a blown fuse (25A) for the A/C condenser fan. A/C fan would not engage when engine was warm and A/C on. My mechanic also noticed that my fan clutch was going out as it was turning really slow, it really should be roaring. It could be that the A/C condenser fan was having to work overtime to compensate for the engine fan, hence blowing the fuse. Both fans work great now, all in all, $160 for parts and labor.

Add your comment to this topic!