Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

which transmission oil for 93 camry 4cyl

t4ia
12-14-2004, 12:33 AM
Which transmission oil to use for 93 camry 4cyl. The garage just used a Castrol transmission oil. Is this ok for Camrys or any specific one is recommended?

t4ia
12-14-2004, 11:47 AM
I am sure someone must have changed their camry tranny oil, no one?

csaxon
12-14-2004, 12:18 PM
If it's an automatic then you want a Dexron II or III fluid. I don't have the manual transmission specs in front of me.

ProMan
12-15-2004, 08:50 AM
Check your owner's manual, it should be Dexeron II. Any brand should be ok.

Allen McCready
12-16-2004, 11:09 AM
My 1997 Camry LE 4 cyl takes Dexron III according to the manual, but that does not mean that your 93 does not take Dexron II.

If you don't have a manual, try calling the service or parts department of a local Toyota dealer and ask them; go to your local library and look at their auto manuals, which they probably have; or, invest in a Chilton's or Haynes manual that covers your vehicle.

I personally would not just guess which fluid to use, unless I had an emergency and I was going to drain and change the fluid in the very near future.

I would not skimp on the grade of the fluid. I did that about a year ago by buying Pepboys store brand and have had some problems since then, which may be due to the grade of the fluid. When the weather warms, or if problems worsen, I will drain and change to a top grade, possibly one designed for high mileage transmissions.

I would be interested in hearing other opinions on this.

Good luck.

jsinton
12-18-2004, 12:06 AM
I'm sure the Castrol if fine. The bigger problem would be if you didn't change it, which is common.

Add your comment to this topic!