Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

olds 98 parts compatible w/ 88 parts?

Alibi
12-13-2004, 09:43 PM
Hello....I haven't posted in forever....anyways...

I recently got a 1990 olds 88 as a b-day present from my aunt. She managed to find one with less than 40k on it. I managed to be really stupid about two weeks ago and I slid off an unbanked curve on a rainy day. I managed to take out 4 fenceposts, but I did avoid the semi in the other lane....

Basically, I destroyed my hood, grill, bumper, bother fenders, left headlight, and radiator. I had one of my friend's dad look at it for me (he professionally restores old cars...currently a 67 mustang...mmm) and he thinks that my frame is still good. His opininion is that repairing a 14 year old car with only 40k on it would cost less than replacing it.

Soooo....I looked for a donor car for parts and i think i've found one. Olds 98 regency. It's been sitting in a cow pasture for about a year and the guy who has it wants a $150 for the new starter he put in it as a last shot at getting it running.

I guess what i'm really getting at is whether or not the parts i need (hood, bumper, etc.) will fit precisely where my messed up 88 parts are. The only differences i can see with my naked eye is that the grill is different, the lights are partitioned off instead of one solid piece, and the logos say 98 instead of 88.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :) I think i'm going to post ths exact message in the 98 forum too.

Oh yeah, I dont know a whole lot about ripping a car apart so i'm stupid when it comes to technical terms :rolleyes:

Thank you in advance!!

--Eric

OldsBuickGuy82
12-15-2004, 12:58 AM
Yes, the grill is different, I would think it would fit though. I would look for an 88 grill myself, just to make it look correct.

The headlights on an 1987+ are swappable between both cars as far as I know. The way you described the lights on the 98 makes me think it is an 1985 or an 1986. The lights became full units by 1987. I have no clue if the older set up will work in a newer car.

The fenders should be ok too from what I know of them. To the eye the only difference I can see is the decals and crome...Should be fine

The rad should drop in fine unless it was changed from year to year, I once put a rad from a Delta Eighty Eight into my Ninty Eight Regency. It was the same year car so you might want to check that out with a professional first.

Good luck!

Hansnet
12-19-2004, 07:53 AM
86 and prior had old school headlights. 87 and newer had the later style.

Radiator will not work if it is 86 or 87 from doner.

Neither will the fender, hood or bumper or anything else. It was a different car, different engine (same size though).

If it is an 88 to 91 you should be alright.

OldsBuickGuy82
12-19-2004, 03:36 PM
Neither will the fender, hood or bumper or anything else. It was a different car, different engine (same size though).

Having had these type of cars for years I've scrapped a few and most of the body parts are the same for the 85 - 90 model years, some models have additional crome that can be screwed on to the older parts. It is true that the engine is different though, so some of the mechanical parts are not swappable.

If it is an 88 to 91 you should be alright.

Only for the mechanical parts. The body style of the 1990 was that last year for that model. The 1991 is a complete overhaul bodywise. I know that because I've owned both a 1990 and a 1991. They are very different in that respect.

Later,

Alibi
12-21-2004, 05:13 PM
I got it towed in a few days ago and so far all the parts work fine....I just pulled the hood from the donor car and I'm going to spray paint some flames on it just for the hell of it.

Basically, all the panels i needed are fine....the rear lights and maybe trunk lid aren't the same though.

The car is a 1985, and yeah, the motor is definately different. Everything else seems to be good though. It really is a pity that the donor car was once very nice (twilight sensor, auto heat/air, auto seats) but is now a total wreck...

Well, thanks for the input :)

--Eric

OldsBuickGuy82
12-21-2004, 11:47 PM
Flames!!!!!!...Are you kidding?...LOL, that has to be a first for an Eighty Eight...:)

Anyway, Glad that you can get some use of it, it's great when things work out. You are right about the tail lights and trunk cover, they are very different from the Eighty Eight.

You mentioned that the 98 Regency had auto heat/air and auto seats...You have a 1990 Eighty Eight right?...Doesn't your car have both of those options?....I have a 1987 Eighty Eight and those options are factory on that year, I know they came as part of the Royal Brougham package but I could have sworn that they were standard on the Eighty Eight by 1990....If not, its too bad the seats from the 98 can't be easily slipped into your car, the power seat is an awesome feature, but you can't hook up the seat from a 98 into an Eighty Eight. The underseat mechanism works differenly....

Anyway, all the best of luck with the fix ups...

Later,

:)

Alibi
12-23-2004, 12:04 AM
Mine is a delta 88 royale, if that makes a difference for the extra goodies...and i did consider pulling the nice toys from the 98, but It's going to be too much of a pain.

My brother has a delta 88 royale that is the same year as mine and it has the extra goodies that mine lacks. But i still cant complain about the 37k grand total miles on the car :) ....gotta love sunday drivers for keeping their cars up.

Flames...yeah....They're going to be very simple--only a foot high or so. Oh well. I've got my winter/holiday break from school so i'll work on it. If i think to take pics i'll post 'em eventually. :)

OldsBuickGuy82
12-24-2004, 01:11 AM
Cool, was just curious is all, I hope it all works out good for you and your Eighty Eight!...

Later:)

Add your comment to this topic!