Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Vq30dett Vs Rb26dett

TeamFL1
12-13-2004, 08:15 PM
OK forget what i said about VG, but why VQ30DETT is in a hooked up 350z or the JGTC Z cars. why not twin turbo the 3.5 that we have... i seen it done but i don't know how much power it can make. The new skyline R35 is probably be the vq35dett....i hope so. the Ferrari 360 is n/a or twin turbo n yea it is 3.6 liter, i don't study cars at that price range. but if the 360 is twin turbo..... then the new skyline is in the game, if it makes ummm over 400 hp? 350 be nice but 400 is the way

VQuick
12-13-2004, 08:51 PM
OK forget what i said about VG, but why VQ30DETT is in a hooked up 350z or the JGTC Z cars. why not twin turbo the 3.5 that we have... i seen it done but i don't know how much power it can make. The new skyline R35 is probably be the vq35dett....i hope so. the Ferrari 360 is n/a or twin turbo n yea it is 3.6 liter, i don't study cars at that price range. but if the 360 is twin turbo..... then the new skyline is in the game, if it makes ummm over 400 hp? 350 be nice but 400 is the way

The 3L VQ revs more smoothly than the 3.5L and still gets the job done. NISMO has already clinched the JGTC title this year. In addition, the 3L was already available turbocharged from the factory, in the JP market Cedric and Gloria twins.
Finally, you have to have a little something up your sleeve. Why go all the way, if you can sandbag and still win? If the competition comes up with something better in the future, then NISMO can worry about using bigger VQs.

The GT-R's engine will probably not be 3.5L. There haven't been any rumors with that displacement for a long time. Most information has been pointing to a 3.2L, which could be a destroked version of the 3.5L. Power could be as high as 480ps(~473hp).

The now defunct F360 was NA with ~400hp. It's replacement, the new F430, produces 490hp, but 'only' 343lb-ft. The turbocharged GT-R will likely have more torque. While the Ferrari is a great car, the GT-R's real target is the Porsche 911 Turbo.

ZedEx
12-13-2004, 09:34 PM
TeamFL1... I would like to introduce you to VQuick. He has probably the most efficient, and reliable information out of anyone that inhabits the Nissan section. You can learn a lot by listening to him, as I have.

All of what he said was pretty much what I was thinking... I personally think Toyota has something tricky for next season, and I think NISMO (Nissan Motorsports International) is going to combat it with something awesome, I dont know what, but I cant wait to see :D

Maybe a highly tuned Naturally Aspirated VK45DE? That would be nice.

-Wes

VQuick
12-14-2004, 09:36 PM
TeamFL1... I would like to introduce you to VQuick. He has probably the most efficient, and reliable information out of anyone that inhabits the Nissan section. You can learn a lot by listening to him, as I have.

Thanks.hehe

I personally think Toyota has something tricky for next season, and I think NISMO (Nissan Motorsports International) is going to combat it with something awesome, I dont know what, but I cant wait to see :D

Maybe a highly tuned Naturally Aspirated VK45DE? That would be nice.

-Wes

I don't understand why Toyota tried to go with the V8s. Almost seems like a step backward. The 3SGTE I4 was lighter than the 2JZ I6, could be better positioned in the engine bay, and could make just as much power(class is limited to 500hp), albeit at the expense of torque. The aluminum 1UZ might weigh a bit less than the 3S, but who knows what torque output is like with an NA powerplant.

If Toyota tries to pull anything(turbocharge their new truck V6, the 2GR or something??), NISMO can just fire back with a bigger VQ. Heck, NISMO can still go up a full liter on the VQs if they want. As it is, I wouldn't be surprised if the turbo VQ can make more torque than the NA 1UZ V8. If NISMO stays FI, they'll probably have better torque than than the V8, while weighing less.

TeamFL1
12-14-2004, 09:54 PM
Toyota sucks , that all i can said, but I don't know how many Toyota have won a champinship, but I see skylines all the time. and NSX, LOL what is that? Nissan makes the best performance cars out of Japan, thats my opinion. they have the S13 14 15, skyline, the Z, and Toyota? MR-2 Supra /we talking about big names / so forget about your crolla a86. Honda i think its the s2000 and NSX. so which company has more serious sport cars? NISSAN hands down!!

2of9
12-17-2004, 10:34 PM
Nissan, Toyota and Honda are pretty much up there. but in JGTC, its tied with Toyo and Nissan.

jcsaleen
02-06-2005, 08:15 AM
the nissan owns in Jgtc. Personally I think they should have put the Vq in the R34 and see how well that did. Is it true that Vq broke at 400 hp.

VQuick
02-06-2005, 10:07 AM
the nissan owns in Jgtc.
Yep. They took the 2004 championship, clinching the title before the season was over.

Personally I think they should have put the Vq in the R34 and see how well that did.
They did that in 2003, and took both the manufacturer's and driver's championships. The VQ30DETT-powered R34s were much better. The engine is short enough that, when placed against the firewall, it basically made the R34 a front mid-engine car. This meant better weight distribution. Drivers loved the improved turn-in, and the lower weight of the VQ vs the RB(probably at least 200lbs difference) allowed engineers to place ballast elsewhere in the car for even better weight distribution.

Then in 2004, we saw the VQ used in the Fairlady Z. Since the car was pretty much designed around the VQ, it was able to put the engine to better use. Toyota stepped 'up' to an NA 5.2L V8 for their Supras, and they didn't even make a dent in NISMO's armor.

Is it true that Vq broke at 400 hp.
Probably not. Street VQ30s are making more than that on stock internals, which includes rather boost unfriendly 10:1 pistons.

tyndago
02-06-2005, 01:00 PM
The VQ is a good motor - all aluminum - 3.5 liters of displacement stock. They probably run the 3.0 liter for the extra weight advantages of less displacement.

More displacement = more torque.

The VQ head is supposed to be better than the RB head - flows more.

Stock the rods in the VQ are not as good.

Stock iron block vs aluminum block - the iron block wins, but the VQ has already been fairly proven.

Have a look at Performance Motorsports Pro Street Tire VQ35 powered 350Z. They went 8.3@176 mph last year. Impressive. Expect more this year.

VQuick
02-07-2005, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the additional info! I forgot about the Performance Motorsports 350Z.

I think it would have been pretty cool if the NISMO R34 GT-R Z-Tune had used a VQ like the 2003 JGTC cars. Would have been a nice sendoff for the R34, and could bridge the gap between it and the R35/36.

jcsaleen
02-07-2005, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the additional info! I forgot about the Performance Motorsports 350Z.

I think it would have been pretty cool if the NISMO R34 GT-R Z-Tune had used a VQ like the 2003 JGTC cars. Would have been a nice sendoff for the R34, and could bridge the gap between it and the R35/36.

Well if I had the money I'd try that R34 and drop a Vq in it. Guarenteed to make the cover of tons of mags.

1viadrft
02-08-2005, 01:56 PM
Let's not forget the real reason behind JGTC and the GT500... why do you think manufacturers and tuners are so interested in this series? Why spend millions and millions on race cars?

R&D, baby...

Is it such a big surprise that Nissan/Nismo is using a VQ30DETT in the JGTC. Do you think it's a coincidence that the former R34 GTR chassis had a CQ in it too? Nissan/Nismo is using this engine in different chassis' from the R34 to the almost perfect aerodynamic Z33... these cars are merely test-mules for Nissan Production Prototypes. Doesn't a VQ30/VQ32DETT in the new GTR make perfect sense now?

As for Toyota using NA V8's... well, this is all R&D too. Those engine are being used in the Luxo-Sport Sedans and Big Luxo-SUV's currently in the Lexus line-up. Don't be surprised a TT V8-V10 series pops up sometime soon (new Supra).

A super Nissan Natrually Aspirated V8 would be nice! Ala open-wheel IRL VH45 powered cars!

VQuick
02-08-2005, 05:24 PM
As for Toyota using NA V8's... well, this is all R&D too. Those engine are being used in the Luxo-Sport Sedans and Big Luxo-SUV's currently in the Lexus line-up. Don't be surprised a TT V8-V10 series pops up sometime soon (new Supra).
Actually, Toyota is using a bigger V8 than what is in production now. The Supras have a 5.2L, compared with the 4.3L out now. The 5.2L or something similar should be produced seen. We all know the Tundra could use a bigger V8(Only 245hp in a full size? Get real!), and the Lexus LF-C supercar will probably be one of the other cars to use it.

A super Nissan Natrually Aspirated V8 would be nice! Ala open-wheel IRL VH45 powered cars!
The IRL cars use the same block as the VK45(VH is dead), but the engine is actually smaller. The VRH35L is only 3.5L, and is turbocharged, running on methanol fuel. An NA version probably wouldn't make much power, or be very streetable(revs pretty high).

r35forums.com
02-09-2005, 10:48 AM
Seriously i think vquick should be a mod for this new forum. :)
he knows more than most people working at nissan now lol. Zedex, how can we recommend him for the position hehee?:)

1viadrft
02-09-2005, 11:23 AM
The IRL cars use the same block as the VK45(VH is dead), but the engine is actually smaller. The VRH35L is only 3.5L, and is turbocharged, running on methanol fuel. An NA version probably wouldn't make much power, or be very streetable(revs pretty high).

Actually I was reffering to the older cars... but I had no idea the new cars ran a VK. Thanks...

Seriously i think vquick should be a mod for this new forum. :)
he knows more than most people working at nissan now lol. Zedex, how can we recommend him for the position hehee?:)

I second that! :iceslolan

VQuick
02-09-2005, 09:31 PM
Actually I was reffering to the older cars... but I had no idea the new cars ran a VK. Thanks...
No prob. At least I think the VK is used in the newer cars. I remember seeing an issue of Popular Mechanics where the two engines were compared side by side. You could also view it from the standpoint of Nissan still having to make two different V8 blocks. Not very practical, even if one version was in relatively small numbers.

I think there were also an advert or two about the racing and production blocks being the same. That was a long time ago, and it didn't appear very often, though. Nissan/Infiniti needs to work on better marketing for their products, especially for Infiniti. There are hardly any commercials, and they are seldom shown.

I second that!
Aww, thanks y'all! :biggrin:

1viadrft
02-10-2005, 06:31 PM
I thought the current Q45's were using the ol' VH?

VQuick
02-11-2005, 02:43 PM
I thought the current Q45's were using the ol' VH?
Nope.

1st Gen 1991-1996?? Q45 had the VH45DE
2nd Gen 1997-2001 Q45 had the VH41DE
3rd Gen 2002-up Q45 has the VK45DE

1viadrft
02-12-2005, 06:05 PM
Cool...

driftmaster200
03-16-2005, 03:04 PM
It stil to early to decide what nissan will do. Who knows what the new GT-R wil use, a 3.0 V6 Turbo, a 4.5 V8, 4.5 V8 turbo, its just too early to tell.

tyndago
03-17-2005, 09:05 AM
It stil to early to decide what nissan will do. Who knows what the new GT-R wil use, a 3.0 V6 Turbo, a 4.5 V8, 4.5 V8 turbo, its just too early to tell.

Its never too early to tell. Just have to know where to find the right information.

driftmaster200
03-18-2005, 03:15 PM
Im guessing nissan will use a turbo v6. Maybe even twin turbos.

jcsaleen
03-18-2005, 03:23 PM
Do you think nissan will ever use a single turbo on a Vq or any other model engine thats high performance.

VQuick
03-19-2005, 09:11 PM
Do you think nissan will ever use a single turbo on a Vq or any other model engine thats high performance.

They've had single turbo VQs for a while now. The VQ25DET is rated at '276hp' and is used in the Stagea, I think. Maybe some other vehicles, I just don't know. The VQ30DET is rated at the same '276hp'( riiiight :rolleyes: ) and was used in the Cedric/Gloria twins(JDM 2002-2004 Infiniti M45).

I also think there were VG30DET's as well, before the VQs came around. There could be a QR25DET 4cyl in the future, as a couple new concepts('Azeal' and 'Sport Concept') have hinted at being turbocharged.

jcsaleen
03-19-2005, 09:20 PM
?#2 This about the Z tune very basic question. What is the topspeed because all the mag's are saying its the fastest production car ever. But if you ask me its a tuner after all nismo is nissan motorsports. Its basically saying the hennessey viper (1000TT) could be called the fastest.

#3 what work does the Z tune actaully have done to it and is it a basic Rb26dett under the hood?

VQuick
03-20-2005, 08:16 AM
?#2 This about the Z tune very basic question. What is the topspeed because all the mag's are saying its the fastest production car ever. But if you ask me its a tuner after all nismo is nissan motorsports. Its basically saying the hennessey viper (1000TT) could be called the fastest.

#3 what work does the Z tune actaully have done to it and is it a basic Rb26dett under the hood?

No idea on the Z-Tune cars, whether it be the Z33 Fairlady Z or the R34 GT-R. I haven't seen performance tests for either of them.

The Z-Tune R34 GT-R had a host of revisions, including a full restoration(similar to Nissan USA's 'Z Store' campaign), and lots of NISMO parts. Since there were only 20 made, NISMO probably went all out to make it a collector's item. The interior, exterior and suspension probably benefited as well. The RB was stroked to 2.8L, and produces around 500hp.

jcsaleen
03-20-2005, 08:49 AM
The RB was stroked to 2.8L, and produces around 500hp.

Is it tuned the same as AF's R34 race car? Id think it has the same layout anyway...

JDM_ONLY
05-15-2005, 01:14 AM
There's a big think that NISSAN might go vq30dett for the new r35... but in my opinion they could stick the vq25vet because is light as hell (that engine is only 10~lbs more than the qr25de) and implement the VVT / CVT for eng & tranny combo. BUT ALL U GUYS ARE NOT WATCHING OUT For Honda... cause their S2000 (bad ass Vtec) could or have inline 6 ....Damm all Hell is goin' to brake loose!!.

tyndago
05-15-2005, 01:05 PM
Is it tuned the same as AF's R34 race car? Id think it has the same layout anyway...

The AF R34 is 500 hp. On paper the Z-Tune should make more power than 500. Its a 2.8. Its got bigger cams, its got larger turbos.

9ball
06-26-2005, 02:08 PM
The GTR will most likely use a N/A 4.5l v8 like the Q and M are using. Factory turbocharged gasoline engines are going away for the most part, at least in the states and Japan. I've read up as much as I could find on the next GTR, and all the writers who sounded like they actually knew what they were talking about agreed that the 4.5l 8 will be what Nissan chooses. They're just cheaper to build and warranty than the twin turbo 6's are.

charlzneon
07-10-2005, 07:46 AM
the latest news i've heard is that the new Infinite GTR's will have a 4.1L v6 engine

jcsaleen
07-10-2005, 10:21 AM
Sources report that the 2008 skyline will be built on a unique awd platform and power by a twin turbo version of the 350'S 3.5 litre V6, possibly bored out to 4.0 litres. The Grapevine speaks of 450 hp allied to nissan's next-generation, variable Torque split, ATTESA E-TS all wheel drive system. - Auto mag

fairladyz_gt-r
07-19-2005, 12:36 PM
i will risk my life to spy out what's in the test mual in Germany if u pay for my ticket and hotel :P

1viadrft
07-22-2005, 05:00 PM
Any useful info yet?

Skyline_BNR34
07-22-2005, 05:11 PM
Hopefully we can actually see the final design soon...

1viadrft
07-22-2005, 05:24 PM
Yuh...

jcsaleen
07-22-2005, 06:18 PM
Yuh...

Hunh... :evillol:

tyndago
07-23-2005, 10:34 AM
Its going to be expensive. Its going to be good.

michang174
02-26-2006, 08:29 PM
VQuick, you seem to know quite a bit about Nissan cars and engines, what do you think about dropping a RB26dett into a 240sx (s13 or s14) i've seen it in some magazines and was curious. I've looked at JDM , a price for a RB26dett with harness was about $3500, do you know of anywhere cheaper or more reliable?
I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on this mainly because I know the power that a RB26dett produces and i am a bit weary of that power with the weight of a 240sx.

tjemerso
02-27-2006, 11:26 PM
Just purchased a sandrail with a VG30DET JDM motor. It has twin Garrett turbos and was dyno'd by the previous owner with 13lbs of boost at 380HP at the rear wheels. I'm looking for a source to get engine gaskets for this engine. Any help would be appreciated. I may be selling this to upgrade to a V-8.

paultyler_82
04-30-2006, 02:34 AM
The only rumors I have heard on the GTR is that the engine will be one of three types, or multiple engines based on market, the main contenders are a street-legalized version of the VQ30DETT race engine used in the current JGTC Fairlady Z's. In current form the engine makes 480 ps (~473 hp) unfortunately, I don't have any numbers on it's torque. Another contender for the engine is, as VQuick mentioned, A destroked 3.2 L VQ35DE, probably with forced induction of some sort and a lower compression ratio, I don't really have any info on this engine other than it may exsist, if it really does, the guys over at Nissan are being very secretive about it. The final contender is some version of the VK block. The VK block is very capable, being a V8 based on the VQ's technology, rather than the previous VH's technology. The VK45DE as it stands is rated at 335 hp, 333 lbs/ft torque in the US model M45 (slightly detuned from this number in the Q45 application), and is probably not even being utilized to it's fullest potential. One good example of the VK's potential is the ImpulPower VK45DE, a stroked, bored 5.1 Liter of the VK45, still natural aspirated, Impul's version makes about 370 ps (365 hp) and 53 kg/m (383 lb/ft) although these are Impul's numbers and I am told they are somewhat conservative. All 3 engines are aluminum/aluminum, and use state-of-the-art in Nissan's engine technologies, so I don't see why any one of them wouldn't make a good solid engine for this next generation of Nissan's halo sports car. As a side note, for the people that were quoting the 276hp number for the VQ25DET and the VQ30DET, it is important to note that those are Japanese MANUFACTURER numbers and it is a longstanding tradition and a gentleman's agreement among Manufacturers in Japan that no vehicle is released from the factory with published power greater than 280 ps (276hp) despite that, most cars rated in japan at 280 ps, are truly putting down more than that.

P.S. Please don't compare the VK to toyota's UZ series V-8... it's really poorly designed, Toyota needs to stick with I-4's and V-6's... they can't design a decent V-8 to save their lives.

As an aside, I don't post much, but that's good. I tend to be long-winded and vehement about my position on things.

Add your comment to this topic!