Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'96 T-Bird Modding

T-BYRD
12-13-2004, 07:57 PM
Dont know what the forums here are all about(1 post removed),but I am fixing to put all the parts I ordered on my T-Bird,just like getting the 3/4 length headers from Kooks.I have 80MM MAF,75MM Throttle Body,75MM Plenum Intake,'01 PI Heads/Intake(with tear drop ports),underdrive pulleys,Cold Air,3200 Stall Converter,Drive Shaft from Crown Vic,373 gears/rearend(from a Cobra),H Pipe w/FlowMaster exhaust,Chip Set,shift kit,just like porting/polishing the heads,and getting the Headers in from Kooks.It should run great by the time a bud and I get thru with it.We have to do a little modding of some things,but all can be done.He builds Stangs and this is a project he has been wanting to do on my car 1st before setting up an '01 or better Stang likewise.We are also going to a Focus with the V6 Spider from a Tarus later,done have the plans and measurements,but the motor will be in the rear with 4 wheel steering.Yes we do have some things going on,more irons in the fire than we can so-to-speak,but we will get them done time permitting with me(on borrowed time).I want to see what all we can do with some of the Fords,I was a Chevy at 1st,but I still love my Chevys,especially the 57...

RickwithaTbird
12-15-2004, 01:46 AM
i wish i could do all that stuff to my car

CamaroSSBoy346
12-15-2004, 06:43 PM
looks like you're on the right track with your mods. Especially them kooks. $700 a set. *shudders* But, i didnt know a cv drfe shaft would fit (i know the MARKVIII would have), and what kind of shift kit did you get? I didnt hear good things about B&M and TransGo.

T-BYRD
12-15-2004, 11:16 PM
looks like you're on the right track with your mods. Especially them kooks. $700 a set. *shudders* But, i didnt know a cv drfe shaft would fit (i know the MARKVIII would have), and what kind of shift kit did you get? I didnt hear good things about B&M and TransGo.

You are correct about the drive shaft,mistake on my part.I was looking at some other parts that I could use off a CV and mass air was 1 that I could have used from that car.

RickwithaTbird,,
Yes I am spending some bucks,but hell ya only go around once,twice in my book,and I dont have alot of time left to go with so I am doing what I can with it,LOL,dont feel sorry for me,been in wheelchair for 31 years as a result of bike wreck.Left me paraylzed from the waiste down and what could life throw at me that wasnt already thrown to me??Nothing..Better to laugh and go than to give up and dwindle away like most do..I am a fighter/survivor,so I dont quit easily,never have and never will!!!Look for some news later on with what turns out on this machine..Call me crazy :screwy: or whichever,but I love life to the fullest and want to do all I can whilw I can.You'd be suprised at what I still do besides this,man what a life and its been a big lesson,1 day after another,so take 'em as they come and go/do as they are delt to ya!!HAVE A MERRY X-MAS ALL!!! EVEN A HAPPIER NEW YEAR!!!

T-BYRD
12-22-2004, 11:36 AM
Got an email from Tony at need-4-speed and he had talked the pro's at C & L about the Throttle Body(80MM) I was planning on using,so here's what he had to they(C & L) about it..

Copy & Paste:
I didn't send order, so I just called them about this 1. They told me that they called me to get more info last week, but I never did get their message. :( Anyway, they were concerned with the 80mm meter that we ordered because they told me that their current sample tubes for a T-Bird computer, in an 80mm meter, would be too lean. If you were having sombody tune the car on the dyno, then that could be dealt with. They actually prefer a 76mm meter, which flows enough to support mid 9 second 1/4 cars, so the 4mm smaller meter is not a bad thing. :) Also, according to C&L, the stock meter on your car is a 70mm, but flows like a 60mm, because it is so restrictive. The C&L 76mm unit flows as a true 76mm unit. So, if you are going to get the car tuned, then we can go with either one, however, C&L still recommends the 76mm. If you are looking for a direct bolt-in meter, with no tuning required, then the 76mm is the way to go. Let me know which you prefer so I can get this finished up for you. :)

Tony @ Need For Speed
www.need-4-speed.com

So in the end,I am going witha 76MM since there will not be as many problems later on if I up-grade something to my engine,like Cams or different intake(Reichard Aluminum Intake)for more Ponies out of the engine :licka: .Like to keep you informed of what I am doing with this in case someone follows my lead.I think the people at C & L know what they doing and I will follow them on what they say since they do alot of playing with alot of parts in design/manufacture of parts for Performance engines..Just some info for the horsepower lovers like me..LOL... :p .. :cool: ..Stay thata' way!!!.........

J_ROC812004
12-22-2004, 05:31 PM
i am sorry to hear that u are in a wheelchair and u can't enjoy driving that nice piece of work to the fullist but i am totally jealous i would love to invest some money into my 95 but my fiance is such a ***** she won't let me invest a dime dont ask me why i am confused?
she wouldn't even let me buy a 62 t-bird that was in good condition (only needed a new carburater) for 2,500 she is still young and she doesn't realize if she didn't waste all of my money i could have a house and all my toys already i mean damn i make nearly 2000 dollars a month

RickwithaTbird
12-22-2004, 07:45 PM
J ROC... sounds like you need a new fiance. How much money is SHE bringing home? and how much of your money does she spend? put your foot down man. You work hard for your money, do what makes you happy. and if she doesnt like seeing you happy then shes not the one for you... anyways back on track... hey im sorry to hear that you have to be in a wheelchair, but I am glad that you live life to the fullest. A lot of people arent capable of that, even out of a wheelchair. your car is gonna be way cooler than mine, and I know you'll love driving it, so even though im jealous, im happy for you. Please do keep us updated on the progress, and maybe even some pics? I'd love to see it transform.

T-BYRD
12-22-2004, 10:20 PM
RickwithaTbird & J_ROC,,
Thanks for the replys and as for the chair,,BULL on it!!Hey I can drive just as good as about any out there still,I am just going to let my friend run it some to see what he can get out of it.I use to race alot strip/street both and done real well with it.I took my V6 3.8L '93 Cougar XR7 the other night and pushed a '02 or '03 GT 4.6L Stang up the main Hwy to 120mph and he was a chicken**** with his car!!He almost made a bad mistake with some oncomers when passing,so I backed off.We did run for about 14 miles,with him passong me 1st and then slowing down which pissed me off,thats when it started,I then passed him and held the lead for about 3 miles before slowing for a car turning,thats when he took the lead again.I dont think his car had much ASS to it or him 1,but if I'd been in the T-bird stock as it is now,I'd made him look very sickly!!So I dont care to run and do it all out.My little Cougar will bust 140mph on the Interstate in no time and it's seen that a couple of times going to Florida I-75 playing with some blondes in Ford King Cab PU!Now that was some fun,til' I saw they were trying to me to stop at I-10 in Florida,LOL,didnt get figured out till I was past I-10 a 1/4 of a mile and going too fast to stop quick!!Have a couple pics of the light blue truck from my light blue Cougar.
T-bird is a dark blue with gray interior,body is all straight,was a 1 owner,has 144,000 plus miles,has a cracked intake,but still driveable,have plans for a nice hood and low profile spoiler,repaint back the same color with light blue tinted windows and hope to get this all done as soon as I can get Eastwood Tools to get my carbide burrs to me so I can get the heads done!
I had a motorcycle wreck in June of '73(age 15)that left me confined to the wheelchair,so it's like I have been this way all my life.Hey I farm some and do whatever I put my mind to.
J_ROC,take care of the woman man,I miss mine(wife 9 yrs) lost to a suppose to be friend and just talk to her about making an investment in a car like the '62 you are talking about.They bring big bucks if fixed back original or any old car for that fact,even if you have to modify the body they will sell nicely for good cash.I'll try to scan and place a black '67 SS Chevy II 327 w/4 speed,3:50 to 1 gear rear that has never been waxed that a brother and friend own together.Very nice car and it's a show winner or placer at ever show they are at.It has been painted since '93 and only a glaze used on it after he runs 1200 grit sandpaper over it that turns it white,then the glaze brings the black back to life!!Real nice paint,the other partner painted and said the man that did that did that job retired,he painted it 3 X's before it suited him!!He built the 1st street/strip back in '82,I think,that ever hit the Capitol of the state here,'69 Camaro w/'71 Vette 427/4 speed 12 bolt 4:10 rear and 24" Mickeys with shortened rearend he did himself.He's damn good and wish I could get him to paint my car,havent asked yet,but going to..Hey do with the little lady man and cherish her dude!!LATER..

J_ROC812004
12-23-2004, 12:43 AM
ty guys for your insight i really do appreciate it man i wish i knoew people like that that i could have me help out for my ride

T-BYRD
12-24-2004, 12:30 AM
J_ROC,if ever anthing I can help with ya on,just email me or PM me.I do have Yahoo,but dont use much,unless I do a search for some things for friends or myself.Dont care to look around the Net or here for anything for ya..TAKE CARE and ALL have a MERRY X-MAS now!! :smile: ..LATER..

J_ROC812004
12-24-2004, 06:22 AM
ty t-bird i appreciate it u have a merry xmas too

JoeyICU
12-24-2004, 11:46 PM
your 14 mile ride sounds scary and dangerous, but that makes the shit fun hell yes, honestly for any maf i would stick with ford factory stuff, the GT unit would be plenty fine for you, and as for a TB 75mm or 70mm works fine for the pi head you will be bolting on, it will get plenty of air, but id say honestly stick with ford factorys mafs for sure...

flewthecoupe
12-25-2004, 04:42 PM
Joey, you really don't need your sig that big, do you??

T-BYRD
12-27-2004, 11:06 PM
[QUOTE=JoeyICU]your 14 mile ride sounds scary and dangerous, but that makes the shit fun hell yes, honestly for any maf i would stick with ford factory stuff, the GT unit would be plenty fine for you, and as for a TB 75mm or 70mm works fine for the pi head you will be bolting on, it will get plenty of air, but id say honestly stick with ford factorys mafs for sure...[/QUOTE/]

JoeyICU,I dont know what you're building with a 4.6L,but I am putting together a car that will do at least the low 9's in the 1/4 mile run and a top end of 180mph if I can get it together right.I am dropping some bucks in this car with later adding NOS to it on the rail,not the Throttle Body,costs more,but its alot more effective and uses less for more HP in the long run.I am getting some info from a couple different places,with C&L being the main 1's that I will get the most performance data from thru need-4-speed talking with Tony there,with him plucking their minds,LOL.I'll soon have a 4.6L that I want to be proud of and say,"Catch me if ya can!",cause I will push it to the limits with all I can get out of it!I love to see how fast I can run,love the speed and have a need for it!Have a '92 Stang and a samrt ass with an '02 or '03 Stang that needs some bad ass punishment for what he did 1 day while I was just going to do some shopping and wanted play,but wouldnt let that piece of shit run like he should of,especially with me running a 3.8L '93 Cougar??Give me a break,LOL,he had more than I did and I pushed him up HWY 127 for 15+ miles and passed him once,then he got dangerous with oncoming traffic,I didnt,so I want him with a bad hardon in a T-Bird and thats with just the heads and afew extras.I will still be as stock as he is,since he has the GT Stang 4.6L with some Mods on it that I found out he placed on.I know who he is and where he lives now,didnt before,but ddo now,LOL,time to play the "BIG DOGS" play and see if he has any BALLS like he acts like,"HEHEHE".He has to prove himself,I did in my younger days,got burned some and burned alot as well,never backed down from a run,be it a 1/4 mile to 2+ miles on open road or curves,loved the curvey roads alot.Those were my favorite and could out ru8n anyone except a friend and he was crazier than I was!!We did some playing then and still do ever once in awhile when we meet up out on the hwy..Hey make the best ya can out of life and that car,life is short,so is a 1/4 mile:wink: ...:cool: ,,I am that way and like all to be that way!!..Hey EVERYONE HAVE VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR and DONT DRIVE DRINKING or WHATEVER THE PLEASURE :wink: !!Just have FUN!! I wwill for DAMN SURE!!LATER....Keep cars running and your better halves HAPPY and SATISFIED!!To the TITTY BAR PEOPLE I GO for NEW YEARS EVE PARTY :biggrin: ............SEE YA!!!!

T-BYRD
12-29-2004, 10:42 PM
Well got a disappointment today from UPS and not happy about it!!I prdered 2 carbide burrs for head porting and the package was empty except for the bill,catalog,and flyer for some other parts from them,LOL,what a joke!!I called the company about the situation and then UPS for them to check the floors for the 2 items,never heard from either of them as promised today like they stated on the phone,but hope so tommorrow.Hope to get those asap,need them to get all this done to heads before I can put it all together and going to try the inatake,TB,cold air,and the MAF 1st just to see what happens with jusst them added.
Now the Stang I ran was measured out at 17 miles today so that I could see actually how far we did play and saw the same car Tuesday going back up the same direction that we ran and I was going the opposite.He looked at me and I looked at him,so he knew who I was,I knew who he was,so soon we run again for damn sure and this time he will not get the total best of me what-so ever!! I will him from all I can gather from some friends..LATER...

RickwithaTbird
12-29-2004, 11:04 PM
lol, youve got a major grudge against this guy, its funny. Its like a soap opera goin on the t bird forums lol. Im hooked, I cant wait to hear the end of it!

T-BYRD
12-29-2004, 11:29 PM
I am out for BLOOD on this guy!!He is a smart ass and I want to show him what racing is all about and what you have to have to do it with,HEART and BALLS!! I have both from years of doing this type of road racing,LOL..You shall hear the end soon enough of the day the T-Bird and Stang went out to play,like the Ford and the Mercury in the "Hotrod Lincoln" song..OH YEAH!!.....

J_ROC812004
12-30-2004, 12:34 AM
good luck man i wish i had my bird up to them standards will some day lol

overl0rd
01-02-2005, 03:48 AM
probably doesnt matter since youre replacing the intake anyhow, but ford has/had a silent recall on the composite 4.6 intake manifolds, since they like to crack. dont know if its still in effect or if youre interested but figured id throw out a heads up anyhow.

T-BYRD
01-02-2005, 10:09 AM
probably doesnt matter since youre replacing the intake anyhow, but ford has/had a silent recall on the composite 4.6 intake manifolds, since they like to crack. dont know if its still in effect or if youre interested but figured id throw out a heads up anyhow.

Yeah I knew about the recall and its over 7 years old,so its not covered after that period of time.THANKS though.I do have a back up '96 with the same problem,but its a block thats ready for take over if this 1 blows!Also have the bottom of a GT Stang that the heads/intake came off of and going to do some work on it and sell.I havent heard about the lose of my carbide burrs that were lost yet,'cept for UPS and they are going to contact Eastwood about the faulty package.DAMN! I need those now so I can get this thing together soon,tired of waiting for the show to start and need test it out for bugs or faults,LOL..LATER..

Add your comment to this topic!