Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ignition/elec cutting out on 95 Accord

ujijin
12-13-2004, 02:36 PM
:screwy:

The problem started yesterday and got really bad today on my 95 accord EX.

While driving, the engine powers down and all the electrical dies...when trying to restart, the engine kicks in momentarily but the same thing happens again.

While I was stalled again this morning, I discovered that if I held the ignition key forward in the "start" position [while in a gear other than neutral] the engine and electrical work fine; I can drive. But imagine driving while holding that ferschlugginer key in "start" all the time!!!

My guess is the ignition switch. Any advice, fellow samurai?? :biggrin:

Wister06
12-13-2004, 05:08 PM
Its most likly your super coil or your distributor is over loading your coil i'd check out the coil first and then go to the distributor i had the same prob on my 90 accord LX and it was the coil!

mpumas
12-13-2004, 07:58 PM
Sounds like an ignition switch module. When you say the electrical dies does that mean the radio and all the stuff that works off the key?. If it were the coil, the engine would not run but everything else would work.

ujijin
12-14-2004, 11:10 AM
Sounds like an ignition switch module. When you say the electrical dies does that mean the radio and all the stuff that works off the key?. If it were the coil, the engine would not run but everything else would work.

Yep...everything. Even the instrument cluster zeroes. I'd concur with the IS module, tho the coil idea is intriguing.

Wister06
12-14-2004, 12:05 PM
Does the engine die down as well as the electronics if it does then it sounds like its def the coil!

mpumas
12-14-2004, 11:28 PM
When you find out the cause, please post the corrective action.

ujijin
12-16-2004, 02:22 AM
When you find out the cause, please post the corrective action.

Good news, it WAS the ignition switch unit. A "pattern failure" as my mech buddy called it. The Accord works like it used to with the new switch assembly.

THX for everyone's suggestions...I'll be visiting the Accord/TSX forum often!

:grinno:

Add your comment to this topic!