Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 Tahoe, 350, intake manifold question

Fyreman
12-12-2004, 10:29 PM
This morning I came out to find a nifty puddle of coolant on the ground beneath my precious truck. I crawled under it, and found a fairly constant leak dripping from the rear of the oil pan and from the bends in the tranny lines to the radiator.

Over the past 2 months, I have found smaller drips and half dollar sized pools in my driveway that I have just attributed to other people's cars. A couple of friends that I spoke to today have told me it is most likely either freeze plugs or the intake manifold that has failed.

Reflecting now I can recall getting the occasional whiff of cooked antifreeze, as well as over the past month noticing that the engine was idling kinda funny off and on, as well as a funky "skip" in the idle when parked. This past Saturday, the "check engine" light came on, and a code 22 was set (throttle position sensor).

I know virutally NOTHING about the intake manifold, and have stumbled into this forum searching for more information. Anyone care to chime in and give me any ideas as to cost of repair, possible other causes, etc.

I have read in here that the intake appears to be a problem with the motor frequently, but I have never had such a big problem with any vehicle I have ever owned. I bought the truck used this past summer, and I do have a warranty, but I am looking to see if the coolant leak is definately related to the manifold.

Further info on the truck is that it is a 350, TBI, with 130,000 on the motor. Thank you!

Thunderbolt
12-13-2004, 04:52 PM
This morning I came out to find a nifty puddle of coolant on the ground beneath my precious truck. I crawled under it, and found a fairly constant leak dripping from the rear of the oil pan and from the bends in the tranny lines to the radiator.

Over the past 2 months, I have found smaller drips and half dollar sized pools in my driveway that I have just attributed to other people's cars. A couple of friends that I spoke to today have told me it is most likely either freeze plugs or the intake manifold that has failed.

Reflecting now I can recall getting the occasional whiff of cooked antifreeze, as well as over the past month noticing that the engine was idling kinda funny off and on, as well as a funky "skip" in the idle when parked. This past Saturday, the "check engine" light came on, and a code 22 was set (throttle position sensor).

I know virutally NOTHING about the intake manifold, and have stumbled into this forum searching for more information. Anyone care to chime in and give me any ideas as to cost of repair, possible other causes, etc.

I have read in here that the intake appears to be a problem with the motor frequently, but I have never had such a big problem with any vehicle I have ever owned. I bought the truck used this past summer, and I do have a warranty, but I am looking to see if the coolant leak is definately related to the manifold.

Further info on the truck is that it is a 350, TBI, with 130,000 on the motor. Thank you!

The intake gasket is most likely your culprit. I would guess a garage will charge around $300-400 to fix it. If you are mechanically inclined the TBI intake gaskets are fairly easy to replace yourself and can be done for less than $100. Crawl under the truck with a flaslight and look at the back of the engine. You will either see anti freeze or white streaks down the back of the block if that is where it is coming from. If it is the intake fix it ASAP because even trace amounts of antifreeze in the oil is hard on the bearings. When I say trace I mean an amount that can only be found with an oil analysis and won't be visible to the naked eye. All in all the 350 TBI is a very reliable engine.

broughy84
12-13-2004, 06:36 PM
or it could be the freeze plug between the tranny and the engine.

Thunderbolt
12-14-2004, 10:15 AM
or it could be the freeze plug between the tranny and the engine.

Could be that also and I think looking at the back of the engine he should be able to tell. If it is the freeze plug it will be coming out the inspection cover of the trans and He should be able to see trails if it is from the intake.

Add your comment to this topic!