Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Switch is messing up

SubZeroII
12-12-2004, 08:02 PM
Hi, I own a 98 integra (GS model). I recently noticed that when the night time switch is turned on, the whole interior dash lights will turn off (including the outside lights). This only occurs when the switch is "pushed" all the way. Could it be the wiring is messed up or do i need to replace the switch?

Thanks in advanced

gsr916
12-12-2004, 08:24 PM
what do u mean by the night time switch?

SubZeroII
12-12-2004, 08:38 PM
The switch on the left hand side of the steering wheel that turns lights on to observe the road at night...(sorry I'm pretty bad when it comes to explaining things)...it's the very last setting...where the day time running lights shut off and the brighter bulbs turn on...

gsr916
12-12-2004, 09:17 PM
the running lights should stay on even when the driving lights are on. sounds to me like you have a blown fuse. look in your owners manual that came with your car there will be a chart showing what all the fuses are. find the right fuse and look at it, most likely it is blown. they are very cheap to replace. when u have ANY type of electrical problem, always start with fuses, more than likely thats what it usually is. If you dont have ur owners manual someone on here will look it up for u.

SubZeroII
12-12-2004, 09:54 PM
I checked and the fuses are ok.

whtteg
12-12-2004, 10:03 PM
Ok so you are saying that when you turn the headlights on all the lights in side and out go out? And does the interior lights and parking lights work when the switch is in the parking light position?

SubZeroII
12-12-2004, 10:04 PM
Also forgot to add, sometimes when i use the turn signals, the same with would happen; the interior lights would shut off. I have to switch the lights off then on to get them working again.

whtteg
12-12-2004, 10:08 PM
Have you had any type of service or anything done to your car recently?

SubZeroII
12-12-2004, 10:11 PM
to whtteg, yea when the switch is off or in the meddle everything works fine. when the switch is in the last setting (to turn on the "night time" lights) it works, but if i push a little further, the whole interior and exterior lights shut off. Sorry if im not explaining the problem properly.

SubZeroII
12-12-2004, 10:14 PM
To answer your question, whtteg, brings me back to a sad part in my car's life..lol. last summer my car was brocken into. They broke off the steering column (assuming to try to "hot wire" the car). They failed to do so (fortunately). I sent the car to the nearest acura dealer to get it fixed. Now im having this problem. The dealer is reluctant to help me.

whtteg
12-12-2004, 10:15 PM
It should not be able to be pushed any further. If it will go past the last setting than it is broken and you need to replace it. The reason everything is going out is that when you push it further than it is supose to go the contacts don't make contact anymore, resulting in everything going out. replace the switch and you should be fine. ;)

SubZeroII
12-12-2004, 10:20 PM
It doesnt "click" past the third stage. When I simply push on it, the problem happens...i was thinking it was the switch

whtteg
12-12-2004, 10:24 PM
It doesnt "click" past the third stage. When I simply push on it, the problem happens...i was thinking it was the switch

Yes that is what I am saying, it is the switch that is broken and needs to be replaced.

Just to clear it up though, you can or cannot twist the switch past the last setting? Or are you talking about pushing on the arm that the switch is on?

SubZeroII
12-12-2004, 10:27 PM
Yea, the arm on the switch, as well as the switch...(only on the last stage)

whtteg
12-12-2004, 10:32 PM
Yes replace the switch. ;)

SubZeroII
12-12-2004, 10:33 PM
Oh, Thanks for the help...Something like that expensive to do? (ie. do I have to take ot to the dealer?)

whtteg
12-12-2004, 10:37 PM
Oh, Thanks for the help...Something like that expensive to do? (ie. do I have to take ot to the dealer?)

you don't have to take it to the dealer, but if you try it yourself be sure to put the short pin connectors on the air bags before doing anything.

SubZeroII
12-12-2004, 10:40 PM
lol, i dont know the first thing. Now that i know the problem, ill take ot somewhere to get it fixed...

Thanks again for the help!

Add your comment to this topic!