Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

radiator fan

gismo0184
12-12-2004, 05:25 PM
i found out why my 97 integra gs keeps overheating. the colling fan does not turn on at all. what can i do to fix this??

gsr916
12-12-2004, 07:51 PM
If it is overheating it is most likely a thermostat problem. When engines are first warming up, the thermostat stays closed and only the coolant that is actually in the engine gets circulated. If the thermostat is bad, it might never open and therefore the coolant is never circulated out of the engine. beyond the thermostat there is a switch called the ECT switch (engine coolant temperature). since the thermostat is bad, the ECT never registers that the coolant is hot and your ECU thinks your engine is still warming up. that is most likely why your fans do not turn on either.

gsr916
12-12-2004, 07:52 PM
or also before changing the thermostat (because it is a pain in the butt IMO), make sure everything is plugged in! simple solutions are often the right ones.

ford familey
12-12-2004, 09:16 PM
or also before changing the thermostat (because it is a pain in the butt IMO), make sure everything is plugged in! simple solutions are often the right ones.
could allso be the sensor bad that turns on the fan

whtteg
12-12-2004, 09:59 PM
Is the temp gauge in the dash working? If so then the thermostat is opening. I would suggest checking all the plugs and make sure they are all tight nad corrosion free. Then I would check all the fuses in the "under hood fuse block" If they are fine then the next thing to check would be the fan relay.

Add your comment to this topic!