Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

mods for a 96 honda accord

89IROC&RS
12-12-2004, 01:10 AM
Hey girls,

Figured id actually throw out a question aimed at honda performance for yall to chew on. My brother has gotten the automotive bug, right now hes modding up his 73 bronco, but im pretty sure its gonna move onto his daily driver, his 1996 honda accord. I know absolutely nothing about hondas, so talk to me like im 4 years old, and lets start throwing around ideas about what he can do to hot rod it. Im looking at performance mods, no rims, no body kits, and for the love of god no fart cans or wings. Think sleeper ;)

GTStang
12-12-2004, 06:36 AM
LS1 conversion durrrr!!!!! :icon16:

y2icon
12-13-2004, 11:35 PM
tell him to get a camaro and junk the honda

S13wanabe
12-15-2004, 09:42 PM
Since it's a girls forum, or it's supposed to be, I fugured I'd try my luck. Hey GTstang, is that you in the picture? If it is, I would really like to get to know you better. Please don't take this offensively. I don't mean to be rude, but damn that girl is hot.

y2icon
12-16-2004, 03:13 AM
pretty sure that gts has something hanging and it doesnt rhyme with it

JDMsweetz
12-18-2004, 09:27 PM
I'm not too familiar with Accords itself, but to start off with, they're "spoilers." Needless to say, the minor bolt on intake/header/exhuast is a good start. If he wants to go further, perhaps motor work, maybe he should build from the bottom up..pistons/rods/sleeves. Is it worth it on his motor though? That's up to him..but I'm sure there's a precious f20b waiting around somewhere for him. :)

ludegurl
12-19-2004, 12:47 AM
Hey girls,

Figured id actually throw out a question aimed at honda performance for yall to chew on. My brother has gotten the automotive bug, right now hes modding up his 73 bronco, but im pretty sure its gonna move onto his daily driver, his 1996 honda accord. I know absolutely nothing about hondas, so talk to me like im 4 years old, and lets start throwing around ideas about what he can do to hot rod it. Im looking at performance mods, no rims, no body kits, and for the love of god no fart cans or wings. Think sleeper ;)

OBD-2 H22A4 engine with ECU from 5th gen prelude should be a good engine swap for 96 accord, direct fit. Just need a little mod on ignition system and VTEC solenoid wiring. DLC connector wont be affected if swap is done properly.

http://www.lude4life.com/gal/10/26.jpg

89IROC&RS
01-06-2005, 11:54 PM
ok, to all my bowtie brothers, funny, but not helpful :-P

to be honest i dont even know if the engine is worth working on, i have yet to get my hands dirty on this car, so im just doing research to find out what options are available.

ok, so naturally we have the basics as far as old school hot rodding, with intake and exhaust. What kind of computer input are we looking at as far as engine controls? for instance my camaro has a MAF system, which responds well to major airflow mods (aka ported and polished heads, aftermarket intake, cold air, headers, cam swap, yadda yadda) but later years use speed density, which requires computer reprograming to accept the same mods after a certain point. If i do a full out build on his honda with full intake, head, and exhaust work, will i need to modify the computer programming to accept the changes? or will it adapt to the new perameters.

also im completely confused by import engine designations, so a few questions on that, what engine is the f20b? and what cars can it be found in?

also what years are the fifth gen preludes? I remember my dad had an 88 prelude that i actually picked out, he sold it the day before i got my learners, i was pissed :) red with a black interior. and a rather mean sounding 2.0L if i remember right.

also, if we are going to be making more power, how much will the factory automatic take before it spews up its guts? and are there nessesary suspension modifications that i will have to do in order to get the new power to the ground?

S13wanabe
01-07-2005, 12:11 PM
If you have any ideas about getting decent power then forget the stock motor. The H22 is a cheap motor, and an easy swap. If you want to keep an automatic trannie there are auto for the H22. You will need an auto ecu though. If you want the maximum gains with mods you always have to tune. You can do all the mods you want and they will be accepted, but you will see much better gains with tuning. Most people around here are using Hondata and it seems to be working really well. If this were all up to me, I would say dump the accord.

y2icon
01-08-2005, 03:54 AM
i still say stick with the camaros, you know them like the back of the hand. you can help your bro alot more there. with the imports (no offense to anyone who posted) almost reinvented the alphabet and numeral system. h22/98734r2d2 engine? and the OBD-2 H22A4 to the 3rd power =squared x 3divied by 0( you get my point). dont reinvent the wheel. stick with the american muscle... wait look at them import girls....... ah stick with the maros

YukiHime
01-08-2005, 12:38 PM
OBD-2 H22A4 engine with ECU from 5th gen prelude should be a good engine swap for 96 accord, direct fit. Just need a little mod on ignition system and VTEC solenoid wiring. DLC connector wont be affected if swap is done properly.

Can't you get the H22A from 1996 Accord SiR(Japan model)? The 190ps version, just swap it into the 96 Accord, it's from the same car basically...
And you can get it from AT or MT...

89IROC&RS
01-10-2005, 01:23 AM
y2icon - lol, yeah i know camaro's front to back inside and out, but i like a challenge, learning something new is a challenge. Learning about the accord is like learning about fords to help my bro with his bronco, learning about infiniti's to work on my moms J30, and getting an old Blazer with a Q-jet to learn about carburators cuz i know EFI. Dont worry, im not leaving my Camaros, just learning about other things.

In regard to tuning, it goes without saying that custom tuning is definatly the best way to get max power, i plan on replacing my MAF system with a Speed Density system for that reason. I guess my question was unclear. So, let me rephrase. If i were to do the simple work, say, cold air intake, light head work, high power ignition system, and header with exhaust, would it be NESSESARY to have it custom tuned, or would the car handle the changes.

Comparison - a MAF system actually measures the ammount of air coming into the engine and uses that info to decide air/fuel ratios and spark curves, so it adapts to aftermarket mods very well, and would not need to be reprogrammed.

A speed density system however is pre programmed to expect a certain ammount of air at a given engine speed, and calculates air/fuel ratios and spark curves off of air tempurature and engine speed. So any mods that allow more air into the engine would not be accounted for and the PROM would need to be reprogrammed.

So would the honda system be more like the MAF system, or the Speed Density system in its ability to accept modifications?

89IROC&RS
01-10-2005, 01:29 AM
also, what is the engine designation for my brothers accord? or more to the point, what information would you need to tell me? Vin number, displacement or something like that. I dont expect to make this a street monster, just to make it more fun to drive, its got no balls as is.

Im eyeballing the engine swaps, but i doubt he'll go for it. so were probly just looking at the simple stuff. So if i were to just do the full intake system and exhaust system, with some head work, would the stock auto tranny handle it? and would the electronic engine controls adapt to it? guess thats what im lookin for.

S13wanabe
01-10-2005, 12:08 PM
It's more like the speed density system.

89IROC&RS
01-11-2005, 01:25 PM
ok, good to know, thanks for all the help on this.

Add your comment to this topic!