Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 camry 4 cl wont start

gaynor2112
12-11-2004, 11:26 PM
94 Camry. Tries to start, seems to get close but just wont turn over. Had it towed to a Car-X. They said fuel injecters were filthy and needed to be cleaned but fuel pressure was fine. Also said needs plugs (which I declined b/c I can do that) and cap and wires. I declined this as well. I said do only what you have to so the car will run so he only did the injectors. He started it many times and drove it. Did fine. I drove it a few miles that day after picking it up 4 hours after the guy worked on it. Drove it the next day (today) about 10 miles round trip. Went out to start it 4 hours later and same problem as before. Wont start, tries but just wont turn all the way over. :confused: Any ideas??? Thanks

Bossman
12-12-2004, 02:10 AM
Change the plugs, cap and wires yet? Should help.

gaynor2112
12-13-2004, 07:15 AM
Change the plugs, cap and wires yet? Should help.
I changed the plugs and wires and no change. I dont know how to change the cap and rotor.

ProMan
12-13-2004, 11:03 AM
Don't randomly change parts before you pin point the real problem, or you are wasting money and time. I don't think it's possible that all these stuff went bad together. Especially the fuel injector, I don't feel they will cause problems like this, unless all 4 got clogged at the same time. So I don't think the shop found the real problem.

Normally the car needs fuel and spark to run. pull out the plugs and have someone crank the engine to make sure you get sparks. If not, it could be the distributor cap.

gaynor2112
12-13-2004, 11:53 AM
I am not very knowledgeable, but why did the car run well for 2 days after the injectors were cleaned and then continue what it was doing before? That seems a little weird to me.

Mike Gerber
12-13-2004, 03:51 PM
Was the weather wet/damp when you noticed these problems? Wet weather can exacerbate an ignition problem. If so, my next step would be to change the cap and rotor. This is still pretty easy stuff for the novice to do. If you are not sure of how to do it, go to the local auto parts store and get a manual; I prefer Chilton's over Haynes but either should be OK for this stuff. The manual will be the best $12-$15 you will spend on the car. If replacing the cap and rotor doesn't help, my next step would be to check the ignition coil. For this, you will need the manual again and a digital volt/ohmeter (DVM).

PS: "Turning Over" (also "Cranking") means the sound the car makes when the battery and starter are rotating the engine over prior to starting. You may be confusing some people who may have some help to offer with the incorrect nomenclature. I think you mean to say it turns over but won't run/start.

Good luck with the problem.

Mike

gaynor2112
12-14-2004, 06:12 AM
thanks all. I am going to try the cap and rotor tonight. If that doesn't work I may donate the thing or sell it if I can. This may be the start of the demise of the Camry. Thanks again.

don24mac
12-14-2004, 07:45 AM
Sounds like it could be a sticky EGR valve. If it sticks open when the engine is cold, it will be very hard to start--if it starts at all.

gaynor2112
12-16-2004, 10:20 AM
I replaced the rotor and cap and miraculously it started right up. Then the next morning it did not start the first 4 times. Just when I thought I was vexed again, it started and I drove it to work. We will see what happens at lunch. Thanks for all the help and input

jsinton
12-18-2004, 12:15 AM
Don't these cars have an ignition control module? ICM's will do wierd things like this before they go bad. Is it still making spark when it won't start? Is the spark hot and bright? Do you have fuel?

Add your comment to this topic!