Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

03 Impala - black paint developed spider cracks

ImpalaGirlNY
12-11-2004, 10:20 PM
I've since had this fixed by the dealership at no charge:

I had noticed one day that there was a little circle shape in the paint and within the circle there were a bunch of cracks. upon careful examination, the entire hood, roof and trunk were covered with them. These defects aren't REALLY noticeable unless you look closely or find your paint start chipping off. I'm not sure if this is only with black paint or other colors, but am curious to know.

bermis519
12-12-2004, 08:41 PM
I have a dark blue impala that is doing that same thing...I have no idea what is causing it, i have tried different types of waxes. Even had it professionally waxed. I dont' know what to do, I'm not going to pay the bucks to have it repainted in fear it will happen again. So if you find a remedy, let me know, i will try anything.

mike

3.4imp
12-13-2004, 09:41 AM
maybe it's sap

bermis519
12-14-2004, 10:18 AM
It's not sap....looks to me like it's under the clear coat...

mike

ImpalaGirlNY
12-15-2004, 10:35 PM
It's not sap....looks to me like it's under the clear coat...

mike

I was initially told by the body shop that it was air borne tree sap... lol
then when they told me that they would paint it I settled with the "acid rain" excuse :)

ImpalaGirlNY
12-15-2004, 10:40 PM
I have a dark blue impala that is doing that same thing...I have no idea what is causing it, i have tried different types of waxes. Even had it professionally waxed. I dont' know what to do, I'm not going to pay the bucks to have it repainted in fear it will happen again. So if you find a remedy, let me know, i will try anything.

mike

2 questions.... did you buy new or used?
how long have you had it ?

lemon law says that new cars are covered for 2 yrs/18kmiles from purchase for any and ALL defects. so if it falls within that category...DEFINITELY take it back to the dealer

used car lemon law varies with mileage on the vehicle when it was bought. Hope this helps :)

bermis519
12-17-2004, 08:50 AM
my car hasn't been parked near pine trees to get sap on it. I dont' think it's from tree sap. But i don't know.

mike

Add your comment to this topic!