Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

getting a compressor for christmas...?

spidereddie
12-11-2004, 10:17 PM
...and know nothing about them?

Well I use a 'giga-normous' compressor that my dad has bolted to the floor for his work with air-tools in the garage. It's now time to stop having to go out to the garage and set up (in the cold) by buying a smaller one to keep in my home.

I've done some searching cause I know nothing about compressors and this is what I came across

Nice basic info on compressors.
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=pg&p=BuyGuide/ChsAirCompressor.html&rn=RightNavFiles/rightNavHowTo
and from AF,
So far what I've come up with from thread searches:
1. Air cans are worth 3 strands of dog hair
2. You should have 20-35 psi to power an airbrush
3. Moisture traps are needed in high humidity places
4. "Air brush" compressors (testors, Iwata) are enough but cost disproportionately more than 'hardware store compressors' (less bang for the buck)
5. oil-free compressors= loud
6. It's nice to have a tank with at least a couple of gallons so the compressor can have some air in reserve and not have to consistently be on

feel free to add info for those who need it.

94 Legend
12-11-2004, 11:37 PM
I dont know that 40 psi is mandatory, I had a Badger Whirlwind II compressor that was 20 psi max, and that was plenty.

99civichic
12-12-2004, 12:12 AM
We use a 2-gallon Craftsman compressor and it is awesome. It can push from 0-125 PSI and is relatively quiet, plus it only takes a minute(literally) to fill up with more than enough to paint a car. It came with a bunch of hoses and extra stuff, and only cost about $90; if you wait for a sale, like my dad did, you can pick it up for about $60.

spidereddie
12-12-2004, 12:16 AM
I dont know that 40 psi is mandatory, I had a Badger Whirlwind II compressor that was 20 psi max, and that was plenty.

I totally agree. I actually meant to write that 40 is the max and 20 min. Just wrote wrong. Thanks for the input

freelunch
12-12-2004, 02:51 AM
Pair a 10 gallon air tank with a 100 PSI compressor and you'll be happy. Fill up the tank and spray away - a full 10 gallon tank at 100PSI can keep you airbrushing for 2-3 hours easily.

mike@af
12-12-2004, 09:40 AM
A small 4 Gallon works great. Plus they are inexpensive.

nis.k.a.
12-12-2004, 12:47 PM
33 gallon Craftsman in my garage. Everything from airbrush to impact. Love it.

ImolaEK
12-12-2004, 07:13 PM
33 gallon Craftsman in my garage. Everything from airbrush to impact. Love it.

:eek2:

I have a 3 Gal Craftsman 150PSI Oil Lubricated Air Compressor. Bought it on sale for 120 plus 30 dollars for 2 year warranty :smokin: Real quiet and fills quick and soo easy to use. This is my first compressor also and i had to learn from scratch thanks to people from AF:)

Ferrari TR
12-13-2004, 02:20 PM
Well...
I have a badger 180 series that I've used for almost 20 years.
I however would buy a Iwata in a heartbeat!
A cheap compressor will cost about $60 then you need a filter/reg/guage which will run about $40. For that you have a big, loud and heavy space eater of a compressor that will prob only last a couple of years.
If you just need a compressor to run an AB than buy one for that.

(now that you got me started, my Badger may be up for sale next month LOL)
:p

Add your comment to this topic!