Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tailgate or Rear window Squeeking.

timrick1
12-11-2004, 12:40 PM
Since I pruchased my 93 S-10 Blazer in 2001, there is an almost constant annoying squeeking coming from the rear anytime I'm on a rough or even slightly rough road or driveway.
I've hade other's drive while I actually sit near the closed tailgate attempting to determin it's location, but I just can't seem to pinpoint it. Ive greased the tailgate hinges, I've tightened the rear window latching mechanism but just can't seem to resolve it. Occasionally I'll notice...Hey, No Squeeking, but then soon, it's back again for no apparent reason.
It's not a metal sound but more like rubber, and definitely from inside.
I'm guessing this is a common problem, but just can't figure it out. Am I correct?

Thank you for any suggestions.

atomicpulse
12-11-2004, 01:37 PM
Not sure if this is the case, but I had a sqeeking that I couldnt find either and it would only happen on rough roads or going into my drive way. Anyways turns out in the rear wheel well on the drivers side there was 2 lines that cross eachother and they have rubber on them were they cross, so I put a little grease between them and haven't had a sqeek since :D

Mikado14
12-11-2004, 03:21 PM
Since I pruchased my 93 S-10 Blazer in 2001, there is an almost constant annoying squeeking coming from the rear anytime I'm on a rough or even slightly rough road or driveway.
I've hade other's drive while I actually sit near the closed tailgate attempting to determin it's location, but I just can't seem to pinpoint it. Ive greased the tailgate hinges, I've tightened the rear window latching mechanism but just can't seem to resolve it. Occasionally I'll notice...Hey, No Squeeking, but then soon, it's back again for no apparent reason.
It's not a metal sound but more like rubber, and definitely from inside.
I'm guessing this is a common problem, but just can't figure it out. Am I correct?

Thank you for any suggestions.
I have a '93 as well, I finally got fed up with the vaseline on the rubber trick etc. I changed the hinges and the keeper on the window. After installing I adjusted the gate keepers so that the gate was closed snug and the window was snug. If the gate is in too far, the window won't latch. The hinges were $56 and the keeper was $17. The birds in the back were gone. Then 5 days later a drunk ran into the back of me at a stop sign and well,,,, there back, but so is the damage which I won't repair until the spring.

OverBoardProject
12-11-2004, 10:52 PM
Mikado14 I hope that your poor blazer took that drunk off the road for a while. I sure hope that it didn't give you a sore neck either

Mikado14
12-12-2004, 12:25 PM
Mikado14 I hope that your poor blazer took that drunk off the road for a while. I sure hope that it didn't give you a sore neck either

As a matter of fact,,,no. I tried, even though the damage was not to the point that the vehicles needed towing, I still insisted on calling the police. When they arrived, the officer said, well, this is a none reportable accident, and this was after he said hello to the drunk. I guess the tipoff should have been the front license plate that read "Fraternal Order of Police"

Well, the only satisfaction is that the front of his BMW is gonna cost a lot more to fix than mine.

Oh, my neck is fine but my poor dog ended up under the heater box, he's ok.

OverBoardProject
12-12-2004, 06:59 PM
poor dog. Don't you hate that 2 sided justice system.

I'm just happy that the Hawaii cops busted our main provincial totally crooked priemer (politician) a couple of years ago... without taking the pay-out.

Well I hope that his insurance company has to pay for your damage.. and his rates go way up

tom3
12-12-2004, 07:16 PM
Fought the squeek for several months on mine. Finally figured out it was the lower hinges on the tailgate. Soak them in oil a couple times. Wouldn't hurt to put a dab of grease on the latch hook deal on the window too, it will squeek sometimes too.

Add your comment to this topic!