Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Anyone have any information on the new V8 engine on the 205 4Runners?

scott78945
12-10-2004, 10:42 PM
I am possibly looking to upgrade my 2003 v6 4Runner with the new V8's. Are these completely redesigned V8 engines? I believe they have something new but not sure what. I can't seem to find any information on the Toyota site at all about it. I don't want to go to another Runner and have some of the same problems that I am having now with my V6. Any links or magazine articles would be great. Thanks guys.

Brian R.
12-10-2004, 11:33 PM
They are putting, at least, new heads on the engine for VVTi. More power. Same block. Promises to be an excellent engine.

blackknight03
12-11-2004, 12:42 AM
yeah it finally bumps the v8 up to where it should have been for at least the past 2 years! I think hp is up to 270hp and actually has a slightly better mpg rating, which is good since the new pathfinder has just come out with the 4.0 v6 with 265 hp and 284 lb ft of torque nipping at it's heels. Whether it's worth going through the hassle of trading in your 03 is up to you since the 4.0 v6 in the Runners are plenty powerful in my opinion!

Later,

scott78945
12-11-2004, 10:36 AM
I agree with you that it does have enough power for me but I am running into a problem with ticking in my exahust. See my other posts by searching. Brian R will tell you as he has been following it with me. I can't get any techs to take the problem seriously and they keep telling me that it is normal which it isn't. So it seems the only other thing to do is to trade it in. This will be a final resort though.

Add your comment to this topic!