Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine Sludge

frankribera
12-10-2004, 07:15 PM
Bought a crashed 93 4cyl camry for $300 to fix it up.

When i went to check the oil level, it was empty. I opened the oil cap and there was this thick black sludge inside the engine and stuck to the oil cap.

i was thinking of doing a motor flush.

any suggestions? i greatly appreciate it.

what causes the sludge? does anything need to be repaired?

thnx guys.

-frank

Bossman
12-12-2004, 02:08 AM
Sounds as if the previous owner(s) never bothered to check the oil and just ran it down to the point where sludge is all that's left. I don't believe the 93 Camry was subject to the infamous Toyota sludge problem. I would highly suggest a motor flush and then an oil change or two before you start driving it daily. Don't be surprised if you have to replace one or more engine gaskets or seals due to the severe condition of the motor.

frankribera
12-12-2004, 02:28 AM
thnx for your reply... i have another question: i have another 93 camry, and whenever i shift from park to reverse, the car jumps.. its gotten quite annoying. ive tried lossening the shifter cable but that didnt work.

thnxx

Brian R.
12-12-2004, 02:46 AM
If it's really sludged, the oil pick-up and the head cover need to be replaced or cleaned particularly well outside the engine.

http://www.cleftltd.com/

ProMan
12-12-2004, 10:38 AM
Engine sludge is a serious problem. It can't be cleared or fixed by just flushing the engine. And, if there was almost no oil in the engine, I doubt the engine may not get enough lubrication and overheated and boiled the oil dry to form the sludge. If that's true, the engine is in big trouble.

Brian R.
12-12-2004, 03:13 PM
I think the solution is going to depend on the extent of sludge formation and how and how much the engine was driven under those conditions. I would try flushing it first, while replacing or carefully cleaning the oil pick-up and the head cover and see what happens. If after flushing the engine runs and doesn't have some obvious big problem, then leave it alone. There is no sense in spending big money if you don't have to.

otto034
02-10-2005, 01:22 AM
check thermostat,if engine does not get up to temp. it wont burn the moisture inside the engine and sludge will build under valve cover,also if car is driven short distances engine wont get hot enough

fabb
02-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Bought a crashed 93 4cyl camry for $300 to fix it up.

When i went to check the oil level, it was empty. I opened the oil cap and there was this thick black sludge inside the engine and stuck to the oil cap.

i was thinking of doing a motor flush.

any suggestions? i greatly appreciate it.

what causes the sludge? does anything need to be repaired?

thnx guys.

-frank

I would not use an aggresive engine flush as it can liberate so much sludge at one time the oil pickup screen for the oil pump will get clogged starving the oil pump. I would suggest getting some good oil into the engine and see if it will run first b4 doing anything else. If the engine is still running you can change your oil very aggressively, like every 1000 miles. The detergent action of the new oil will help break up some of the deposites. If you really want to pour something in there I have used Risilone (sp?) oil treatment (yellow bottle) with good results. It is a very mild flush and will soften up and clean out the sludge in your engine without clogging the inlet screen to the pump. This engine has been neglected in a big way, so it may not live long.
Good luck
FABB

Add your comment to this topic!