Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Timing belt job - Can't get no satisfaction - so far.

Huffa
12-10-2004, 01:20 PM
OK, heres the deal.

I ordered all the parts for a COMPLETE timing belt job on a 91 Accord SE AUTOMATIC 2.2 motor.

1) timing belt - $31.69

2) balance belt - 30.69

3) thermostat - 11.56

4) balance shaft tensioner - 50.35

5) water pump - 45.00

6) balance shaft seal - 4.49

7) cam seal - 3.76

8) crank seal - 5.41

When I took it to have done I drew an arrow in the shop manual EXACTLY where I noted a slight oil leak at the lower belt cover. So slight, that it never dripped any on floor. Had job performed and nothing was said about where the leak was when I picked it up.

Next day I noticed a drip or 2 or 3 on garage floor and dots going down the driveway so in other words it was WORSE then when I had brought it in!

Mechanic said it's my balance shaft gear assembly & housing, which does have a seal and is not rebuilable. HMMMM....... never heard of them leaking but go ahead fix it. It was a whooping.........................

9) balance shaft gear & housing - 156.00 + 9.00 shipping (At the dealer by me they wanted 200.00 for it!)

So it was the cost of the part + another 107 for his labor, which I felt I shouldn't of had to pay since he didn't fix it right the 1st time!

So picked it up a 2nd time and a day later a low HUMMMM occured at idle. It really sounds like it's coming from inside the belt cover. ALSO, it STILL LEAKS oil!!!!!!! +++++++++++ I asked him ( I'm a detail nut) why does it look like the gasket on the lower belt cover is not pressing against the engine any more (1/4" gap)? His reply was OH, I trimmed that a little!!!!! :nono: WHY O WHY :nono: would he do that? Seems to me he took a short cut to install the cover in some way and trimmed it a hair so it would fit on or to get it by something. This gasket is not that important as it is just a dust gasket I think but still perterbs me that he didn't take the time to do it right.

So at this point it's going back on Monday.

Know what the humm might be? Too tight adjustment on timing or balance shaft belt possibly?

Oil Leak - Every seal was replaced on that side. Could too tight of belt put unwanted pressure on the seals - bearings causing both the leak and noise????

Engine runs silky smooth except for the HUMMMMMM at idle.

Thanks for your replies!

PS - He has been in buissness a very long time and many swear by his work. It's a country garage. Just one guy does the work. So far I can't say the same for him. I always seem to have that kind of rotten luck :disappoin !!

-Huffa

mpumas
12-10-2004, 11:04 PM
Sometimes it pays to take it to the dealer. They don't take shortcuts.

ProMan
12-11-2004, 09:03 PM
I agree that the mechanics at dealer may be trained better. But it doesn't mean their work quality will be better too. It all depends on if he is careful. I have some bad experience with both local shops and dealerships. My car was getting worse and it's like an endless nightmare. You are not alone with that rotton luck!

And no one would admit cecause he messed it up. That's why I always do everything myself. I care my car, every one else cares my money.

The oil leak is always caused by hardened and cracked rubber seals. There is absolutely no need to replace the gear, shaft, or anything else. If the problem was not there before your car was touched by the shop, it's something they did wrong. But no one would admit it. They will tell you stories and make you put more money into their pocket.

My experience is, if you follow the manual exactly step by step, torque every bolt and nuts as specified, nothing should go wrong. I know replacing timing belt is a little bit tricky. You need to tighten and loosen certain components in a certain order for couple times. It doesn't make sense to me at that time but I just followed the procedure. It turned out that everything to be fine after I finished. So it's very possible that there might be something your mechanic missed and didn't perform the job right.

mpumas
12-12-2004, 12:15 AM
I am from the old school that says that a well trained person will generally do the job better and faster then one who not.Also a mechanic who only works one brand car will have obviously more experience on the problems unique with that brand. Also dealers usually have all the parts readily available and won't take short cuts, i.e. cutting gaskets to make it fit.

There are independent mechanics out there who do good work and some may have been factory trained. And some may even have access to the manufacturer tech service bulletins. To find one is a keeper. His work will be good and his labor rate will be less then the dealer.

Huffa
12-12-2004, 07:10 AM
Thanks for your replies! I too agree you can get lousy work WHERE EVER you go!

Before I made the appointment I asked: Did you ever do Accord timing belts before? I surley did not want to be the ginea pig.
His answer was: Sure, lots of them, so instantly I felt at ease with him doing the job.

I have been delivering fuel oil (heating oil) to him for a decade+ and am sure he will fix it right because he has to see my face every few weeks or so!

I'll keep you posted what was wrong. It might help one of you in the future!

What sucks is I can't get too pissed off for fear of losing him as a fuel oil customer. My method is BE NICE, even if you must bring it a 2nd time (EVERYONE MAKES MISTAKES!!!) but then after a 3rd time I start really speaking my mind and BLAST THEM with my opinion.

Funny, my neighbor (60 year old lady) right aside of me owned the car up until 2 months ago. She knows NOTHING about cars. She never had a problem taking it several places!

I am choosie where I take it and look what I run into!!!!!! Just goes to show........

Igovert500
12-12-2004, 12:19 PM
I used to work at a dealership...and trust me, you have every right to be choosy. I know in just my department, shortcuts were taken left and right, and many cars were beaten on. That and dealerships overcharge way too much. I personally like to try everything myself, and if I find myself in a bind, I'll take it to a place where I can stay and watch exactly what they do...no joyriding in my car.

Huffa
12-12-2004, 01:39 PM
Yea, I debated on & off for weeks whether I should of tried it myself.

I SHOULD OF and probably COULD OF but didn't. :banghead:

Add your comment to this topic!