Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95' Buick downshift problem

bjones3
12-10-2004, 12:16 PM
I am a first time user of this help program, so I hope I don't get lost in the maze. My 95 buick lesabre sounds like it is missing when I am going uphill and the trans needs to downshift. If I justtap the gas is does downshift fine. I am usually in cruise when this happens, but also seems to do it if I am holding the gas steady. It does not do it when I manually shift out of OD, but my gas mileage goes to hell then. Any good ideas?

buickmastermind
12-10-2004, 02:13 PM
What do you mean it sounds like it's missing? Is it a motor misfiring, or the tranny doing a clucky downshift? Please describe it a little better. It should downshift when going up a hill, that is perfectly normal. You should be able to tell, too, but it shouldn't jerk the car, or make any clunking noises.

12-11-2004, 08:32 AM
Torque Converter Clutch noise. Normal behavior for the 95 transmission. Mine does it too.

bjones3
12-14-2004, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the reply, Buickmastermind and Avatar.
The downshift feels like the car is laboring too hard. If the grade is steeper, it downshifts OK, but if I let the cruise do it, it feels almost like it is missing. I have changed the plugs, wires and air filter. Otherwise the car performs fine even with 150,000 miles. This quivver that takes place apparently has had no effect on gas mileage. I ran several bottles of injector cleaner thru the tank and it did seem to help a little. Thanks again for the comeback.

buickmastermind
12-15-2004, 01:16 AM
It wouldn't hurt to check the coils, or even change the fuel filter. It could also be the throttle linkage, but that isn't very likely.

wallus
12-15-2004, 08:00 PM
At that speed the trans would be in O/D Lock-up.
If the engine even has a slight missfire it will be magnified five times or more in O/D Lock-up. It is also possible that the controler is not downshifting the trans or disengaging the TCC soon enough in which case the engine could lug and possibly run too rich till it drops down.
Could be a few things causing that. Speed sensor or TPS comes to mind.
Why don't you let someone scan it and see if everything is whithin range.
Something could be on the faulty side but not bad enough to set a code yet. :2cents:

Add your comment to this topic!