Park/Rev/Neutral/Drive indicator won't light.

kimsmith4807
12-09-2004, 05:39 PM
I have a 2000 Silverado with a digital/led type readout for the
PRND gear selector. Normally it lights up when I turn the ignition
on but lately it comes on then goes out or sometimes it wouldn't come on but then eventually would light up. Sometimes tapping on the dash would work. It has been very cold lately and running the heat sometimes helped. But now it won't come on no matter what I do, tapping on the dash, running the heater on high, nothing works. Any clues ? Thanks.

chuck16
12-09-2004, 05:52 PM
Probably a bad solder joint on the back of the display. Pull out your cluster and have a look. If not then I'm assuming you have to have the whole cluster replaced.

Guys???
Can you just replace the ODO and PRND indicator or does the whole cluster have to replaced?

kimsmith4807
12-09-2004, 05:56 PM
I'm hoping it's just a cold solder joint and not something I read about ignition switches and transmissions stuck in 2nd and 3rd gears.

K, just got back from a quick test run. Everything shifts just fine, through all the gears so nothing wrong with what I had heard about the ignition switch/tranny stuck in gear. I live and die by the radio controlled forums so I know how important a tool they can be. Looks like I pull the cluster tomorrow. Thanks for the guidance.

kimsmith4807
12-10-2004, 03:59 PM
Fixed it !! Just you like said, a cold solder joint on one of the connections going from the circuit board to the PRND display. I must say that getting the cluster out was one of the easiest I've ever done.
Thanks again for the help.

silveradoman
12-10-2004, 10:04 PM
how did you take apart the cluster once you pulled it off the truck?

chuck16
12-11-2004, 01:17 AM
Right on, glad it worked for yah...

silveradoman
12-12-2004, 11:04 PM
Yoohoo! I got my old cluster fixed! I figured I had the Denali one installed anyway so I thought I might experiment and open it up with no fear to wreck it, I had to almost take completely apart, desoldered EVERYTHING, finally I found the cold solder in the middle board, behind the display, it looked like it was the ground terminal, anyway since itīs the holidays and I need the extra cash, Iīm posting the Denali cluster on ebay, canīt stand reading miles instead of kilometers, itīs driving me crazy!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7941189073

Add your comment to this topic!