Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How do you change the tail lights on a 2000 Beetle?

falcondn
12-09-2004, 12:12 PM
I have a brake light out on a 2000 Beetle and I need to change it but I cannot get to it. How do you do this?

veedubmechanic
12-09-2004, 10:17 PM
Easy....

1- open trunk
2. either side on the rear of the trunk there is a round access pannel (pry it out w/ a small screwdriver)
3. There is a star looking black plastic "nut" that you need to unscrew all the way (be very very very and i mean very careful not to drop the nut because to retrieve it is not fun that requires moving many body pannels and yea... not fun)
4. after removing the nut all the way use something to pru the tail light out on the inner side of the lense by the body line (where bumper meets fender) theres 2 metal tabs that hold the lense on. The light should pop out. Use a rag or something with the screwdriver so you dont scuff up your bumper.
5. R&R bulb
6. When you re-install the lense stick the accodian spring back into the lil hole it came out and put the outer side of the lense in first and just press the light back into the bumper. Then just put the nut back on! and walllaaaaaa saved yourself 40$

jayzvw
04-28-2005, 09:09 AM
You might also think of trying one of those rubber suctioncup dent pullers that you can get at an autoparts store, and I think Wal Mart has them also. After you get that wing nut/ screw thing off from the inside, take the dent puller and attach it to the tail light and pull out. Also works well in getting your headlights out.

Add your comment to this topic!